blum inset hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to use inset hinges to hang a 6ft cupboard door (probably use 5 hinges per side).

The following hinge would be fine but I'd really like a wider opening so swmbo doesn't open it in anger at any point a pull it off!

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetai ... t=5/366/68

stock code: 71275N

I gather I also need plate No 175H710N

Any ideas on which wide opening hinge I can use? if any?

thanks

Would the mounting plate work with a flush fit inset? I.e. standard pine frame with no rebate (4" x 1/14") and mdf doors?

Yes, the effect of the 18mm plate is to move the door from covering a standard 18mm carcase to being just inside. set the mounting plate screws back from the front by 37mm plus the door thickness.

Jason

jasonB":1xdwjzpr said:
Yes, the effect of the 18mm plate is to move the door from covering a standard 18mm carcase to being just inside. set the mounting plate screws back from the front by 37mm plus the door thickness.

Jason

roger that,

Do you think I'll require a rebate to 'stop' the doors or will the hinges do that?

Also, is that price on woodfit acurate? 5.21 EACH :shock: I need 10 of them!

thanks

Ikea are £3 a pair give or take, 120* I think.... I paid less than £5/pr from a kitchen showroom for 170* ones. There are 3 per door, triangular MDF, 5'6" x 5' on a cupboard and that's plenty.

Charlotte":zhof77zi said:
Ikea are £3 a pair give or take, 120* I think.... I paid less than £5/pr from a kitchen showroom for 170* ones. There are 3 per door, triangular MDF, 5'6" x 5' on a cupboard and that's plenty.

Is that for inset hinges or overlay?

Woodfits retail price is about 40% higher than their trade :wink: Isaacs is all approx trade price but I don't think they list the 18mm plates. !70Deg hinges are always more than the standard 95-120 deg as there is a lot more too them

You will need to make sure the hinges are clip or cliptop otherwise thay wont fit the 18mm plates. The Ikea are 120degree layon so don't open so far, not sure of teh mounting but they use the inserta system, been a while since I did an Ikea kitchen.

You will need something for the handle edge of the door to close onto, either a strip to form a rebate or small stop blocks top & bottom.

4 Hinges per door will be OK assuming solid 18mm mdf

The other option is to fit a strip of 18mm x 65mm MDF down the hinge side of the carcase set back by the door thickness plus 2mm and then just use standard plates & 170deg hinges.

EDIT the plates are £1.64 + VAT trade but they whack a small order charge onto trade orders so that will mahe them about £3.

Jason

jasonB":2wrin0s4 said:
Woodfits retail price is about 40% higher than their trade :wink: Isaacs is all approx trade price but I don't think they list the 18mm plates. !70Deg hinges are always more than the standard 95-120 deg as there is a lot more too them

You will need to make sure the hinges are clip or cliptop otherwise thay wont fit the 18mm plates. The Ikea are 120degree layon so don't open so far, not sure of teh mounting but they use the inserta system, been a while since I did an Ikea kitchen.

You will need something for the handle edge of the door to close onto, either a strip to form a rebate or small stop blocks top & bottom.

4 Hinges per door will be OK assuming solid 18mm mdf

Jason

Roger that, I'll stick a couple of strips on for a stop.

I think I'll just go with 107 degree hinges

Could you have a look on issac lord and point me in the direction of what I'd need for the 107 hinges, plus cam mounting plates? and soft close?

Sorry to be a pain and I really appreciate the help as the blum range utterley baffles me.

They are 12mm plus 6mm glued on stiles (shaker style)

thanks

See the last two paragraphs I added while you were posting.

Will work out whats needed in teh morning unless that suggestion changes your mind

J

jasonB":g4cas4pr said:
See the last two paragraphs I added while you were posting.

Will work out whats needed in teh morning unless that suggestion changes your mind

J

Hi,

Please just go with the normal 107 hinges and the soft close.

If you every need any advice regarding computers please pm me :)

thanks again

Sticking with 107deg opening inset hinges you need

75T1750 hinge

Cover if you don't want to see the screws

mounting plate I prefer these with teh cam height adjustment

blumotion I should think two per door will be more than enough.

While you are at it get a box of their Reisser 3.5x16 screws as thats the right size for teh hinges & plates

Jason

jasonB":k5bu8w9j said:
Sticking with 107deg opening inset hinges you need

75T1750 hinge

Cover if you don't want to see the screws

mounting plate I prefer these with teh cam height adjustment

While you are at it get a box of their Reisser 3.5x16 screws as thats the right size for teh hinges & plates

Jason

Thanks jason, much appreciated.

:D

Hello again,

I'm planning on doing some more cupboards in another room and I need 13 hinges :shock:

So I'm trying to keep costs down and plan to buy the standard ikea blum hinges (3 quid for two) then use the 18mm mounting plates.

Are these the right plates? C3420 Blum Die Cast Cruciform Mounting Plate - 18mm

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cabinet-hardw ... ing-plates

thanks

jasonB":ym3nzbe0 said:

Jason

I would maybe go for three of the blumotion stops, I found two weren't quite enough to softly close a 6ft pantry unit door that I did recently and they are dirt cheap.

shannyla":2yxuediw said:
jasonB":2yxuediw said:

Jason

I would maybe go for three of the blumotion stops, I found two weren't quite enough to softly close a 6ft pantry unit door that I did recently and they are dirt cheap.

How thick was the door? I just made 6ft x 2ft doors in 18mm and 2 was more than enough

It depends on the fit of the door, you can almost use the trapped air in a large cupboard to damp the closing action, Was the pantry ventilated? The other trick is to pop a spring or two out of some of the hinges :wink:

Re the ikea hinges, it's a while since I fitted one of their kitchens so can't recall what mounting type they use, I know the hinge was the inserta type that does not need screws into the door. If they use clip or cliptop mountings then the 18mm plates will be fine.

Jason

jasonB":2checvj0 said:
It depends on the fit of the door, you can almost use the trapped air in a large cupboard to damp the closing action, Was the pantry ventilated? The other trick is to pop a spring or two out of some of the hinges :wink:

Re the ikea hinges, it's a while since I fitted one of their kitchens so can't recall what mounting type they use, I know the hinge was the inserta type that does not need screws into the door. If they use clip or cliptop mountings then the 18mm plates will be fine.

Jason

Ikea have the blum clip type (liek you spec'd for me last time) the mounting plates are the same aside from they have a plastic insert and slightly smaller screw.

If checked and it actually works out more expensive buying the plates as buying insets in the first place DOH!

Perhaps I should stop being so tight, it still only works out at 60 quid for hinges for 5 cupboard doors. Still 10x cheaper than paying someone else to make and fit :oops:

Have a look at Ironmongery direct, they sell them as a set of two hinges and two plates. Works out about £34 for 14No hinges without softclosers which they also sell.

Jason

Back