Blum inset hinge advice - what size door do I make?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just been submitted a plan of a freestanding book shelf design consisting of 6No 50mm shelves with 22mm dividers and 5No LH or RH opening doors - that's one door on each level. The 22mm dividers go between each of the 50mm shelves - around 5No between each shelf.

The designer ideally wants the doors to be inset, and opened with push catches, so no handles. To save on materials and time, I was intending to attach the doors directly to the 22mm uprights with Blum inset hinges (rather than making an whole carcass to fit into the gap) and for it to close against a push catch attached to another other 22mm upright.

Has anyone got any advice on the size of door I should have, so allowing a generous enough gap for the door to open/close. And what margin should the 35mm blum hole have? The door space between the upright is 582w x 340h.

Many thanks for any assistance. Hope I given you enough details. I've a pdf drawing of the shelves - hope I managed to attach it.

Regards,

Karl
Living room shelving + storage option 2_revised.jpg

Attachments

• Living room shelving + storage option 2_revised.jpg
    Living room shelving + storage option 2_revised.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 115
I find with 22mm doors you need to allow a minimum of 2.5mm on each side so make your doors 577x335 max.

Set the hole ctr about 22.5mm from door edge

Always best to do a test with a bit of scrap to be on the safe side

You will need the unsprung hinges and the Blum push to open catches work well although I've only used them with layon where they are drilled into the edge of the carcase but you can get surface mount fittings.

Jason

Thanks for such a speedy reply Jason.

Hadn't really thought about thickness of the doors(!) - I usually use 18mm - but I guess 22mm would be good for continuity given that the uprights are also 22.

Thanks again for the help.

Karl

If they are just flat panels then 18mm would be OK at that size in which case you could bring the gap down to 2mm.

J

Back