Blow Torch Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with a blow touch. I have done a search on blow torches and found a huge choice. Your advice on what to buy.
The job in hand is to anneal a small thin 1mm brass plate to a curved shape with a blow torch which will give a 'feathery' flame.

Thanks.

My advice is a rothenburger superfire 2 approx £60 , you can use red/blue or yellow bottles that you dispose of once empty. The yellow burns the hottest but can produce carbon monoxide in confined spaces. Refills run between £9-13 depending on colour. 2nd choice would be the primus torch which you buy and then pay for your first bottle but then when empty you return it an just pay for a refill. The primus 2000 is available as a full kit including the bottle or separately. The primus 2000 is kinder on the environment but the flame is not as stable if you tip the torch to the side . I think the rothenberger is easier for you to get accustomed to and it has a auto ignition trigger.

Attachments

• DA08FF83-F429-4E12-BB71-8AF069D03A23.jpeg
    DA08FF83-F429-4E12-BB71-8AF069D03A23.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1BE22E90-E22C-45D6-A509-FCC576F6F301.jpeg
    1BE22E90-E22C-45D6-A509-FCC576F6F301.jpeg
    612 KB · Views: 0
Assuming that you have a 'cold working' alpha brass you may not even have to anneal: I rolled this from 1.6mm CZ108 in one pass without heat treating:
RolledBrassScaled.JPG

The problem comes if you can't make the curve in one go - the stuff work-hardens something rotten.
If you do need to anneal, +1 for what Phil says - you only have to get the work to 500°C or so, no need for fancy MAPP gas or anything like that.
Good luck, Bob.

Superfire 2 if you want to spend money once.

A cheap one that looks like a Superfire 2 if you're going to use it infrequently enough to only spend money once.

I've had my Superfire years and years. I left it out in the rain once and the ignitor failed. I called rothenberger and the sent me out a service pack without any charge at all. I didn't even pay the postage.

I don't know if they just took pity on me or if this is how they normally operate.

Their tools cost about double what they same tool would cost in another brand. Just depends on your usage, I guess.

Another vote for Rothenburger - as with all well-made tools it's much nicer to use than cheap stuff.

However, if this is a one-off job then it may be a false economy.

I accidentally melted a brass part made from 5 or 6mm round rod using a bernzomatic plumbers torch on a yellow MAPP gas cylinder. They have ample power for the task described. Apply with care :)
bernzomatic-swirl-flame-brazing-torch-jt539t-mapp.jpg

I bought a Rothenburg copy from the great South American river for £35.50 and have used it successfully for several hours brazing 1.5mm stainless steel plate. It was the SEAAN MAPP Propane Torch Multi Purpose Trigger Start Propane Torch with 3 Nozzles/Tips. It seems like a good buy. 🙂 Still don't quite know which nozzle does what: that info wasn't included. 🥺

I bought a Rothenburg copy from the great South American river for £35.50 and have used it successfully for several hours brazing 1.5mm stainless steel plate. It was the SEAAN MAPP Propane Torch Multi Purpose Trigger Start Propane Torch with 3 Nozzles/Tips. It seems like a good buy. 🙂 Still don't quite know which nozzle does what: that info wasn't included. 🥺
The larger diameter burners are for large diameter pipes , the smaller ones will produce a finer more defined flame .

Latest posts

Back