block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

which is better a 9 1/2 with a 21deg angle or a 60 1/2 with a 12 deg angle?

i will be using it onsite to knock off sharp edges and planing bits off mitres to ensure a tight fit on skirtings,archtraves
there will be some ply and mdf work also

thanks jamie

I find the 60 1/2 more comfortable to hold, and the blade honing angle can always be increased (or lowered) to give you a higher (or lower) effective pitch as the job requires.

Cheers

Karl

I have both but only ever use the 60 1/2. Seems to work much better than the 9 1/2 in most situations. Normal grinding angle is 25 degrees and honing angle 30 degrees. But I'll sometimes hone at a very steep angle for very abrasive materials, such as Formica. If you use a lot of abrasive stuff, it helps to have a spare blade honed at a steeper angle.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I would recommend the 91/2 for your application, the 601/2 only really comes into its own on end grain.

Simon

My recommendation is similar to Simon's - a higher planing angle is of greater general use than a low cutting angle.

I suspect most do a lot more planing of face- and edge grain than end grain with block planes. I know I do.

With this it makes more sense to use a standard angle block plane (e.g. the #9 1/2). HOWEVER, the standard angle block plane has to accomodate a higher bed and, thus, a higher hand grip. For some this will be less comfortable to hold than a low angle block plane (where everthing is ... well ... lower :D ).

Sooo ... the answer is to simply grind a higher bevel on the blade of a low angle block plane. Better still, keep two blades, one at low angle (25 degrees) and the other at a higher angle (I'd go for 35-40 degrees).

Regards from Perth

Derek

thanks for the replies guys,
i went to the local tool shed and had a look, i ended up with a 60 1/2 most use will be on mitres which is endgrain, + its easyer to hold one handed,

Latest posts

Back