Black Walnut finish to retain Mat appearance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will go with the osmo water repellant mix Sploo recommended for the dining table.
However I recently wasted some money on some walnut side tables from John Lewis and want to protect them from UV as in their position they will sit in the sun all day. Any specific recommendations please?

Attachments

• 58AB7505-81AE-4C75-8534-A385715EEE93.jpeg
    58AB7505-81AE-4C75-8534-A385715EEE93.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 6EF52911-F6C9-45F4-B5E9-9B3A748563B3.jpeg
    6EF52911-F6C9-45F4-B5E9-9B3A748563B3.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 9
I’m assuming it’s properly seasoned? If not you’ll run into issues (shrinkage/movement/etc) down the line, if it hasn’t been…

Osmo Wood Protector (Wood Protector - Osmo UK) followed by Top Oil (TopOil - Osmo UK) is a good finish for surfaces that'll be exposed to water and regular use.

I believe that Black Walnut tends to lighten over time in the presence of UV light; so whether a UV resistant finish is preferable is up to you.

EDIT: This post (How to darken American black walnut (and get a good sheen)?) may be of interest too; though I never actually went ahead with the walnut kitchen.

Hi @sploo , can you advise how you go about patching/ repairing /sanding back areas with the osmo wood protector and top oil combo? Finally getting around to buildingthe table and purchasing this and wondering.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi @sploo , can you advise how you go about patching/ repairing /sanding back areas with the osmo wood protector and top oil combo? Finally getting around to buildingthe table and purchasing this and wondering.
Many thanks in advance!
I have done that a few times around our kitchen sink area (solid oak worktop, with that Osmo combo). If damage is minor, I find a quick light sand or scrape with a card scraper is fine, and extra coats of Top Oil blend fine with existing areas.

I recently modified part of the worktop with a new splashback, and scraped off all the coating in that area. Wood Protector followed by Top Oil, and done; looks the same as the existing areas.

Seems to be quite forgiving when it comes to maintenance basically

Back