Bit weird....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Still faffing around with resin, and have met a strange thing. Using pearlex powder pigments for another experiment with colours, and for some reason the pearl white is refusing to cure. At first I put it down to an issue with the resin mix, but the last time I mixed a batch of clear resin and used some for turquoise, some for violet and some for pearl, the other two colours cured OK but the pearl just turned toffee like, tried another type of resin today, and so far after 5 hours it is still runny! Got in touch with the supplier and they are going to have a go with some of theirs and report back.
Anyone else met this before?

I to have been playing about with resins with varied results on colouring. tried a tip i got of internet using some old biro ink (yep biro ink) so far the results are better than the pigments i have been buying especially the red and green, with no difference in curing times. wont help you with your white but worth trying with other colours

Yes, is fresh resin and hardener, is only the powder pigment that is causing the problem, the resin is definitely not the cause, as the same batch of mixed clear resin was used for all three colours . thanks for link have you tried both epoxy and polyester resin? using epoxy at moment, because when I was trawling the internet for info, I'm sure I saw that epoxy was better, but got no proof of that, though I do like the idea of quicker curing times.
Thanks for idea of ink, think I read about using calligraphy inks as well, but have just ordered a whole load of powders from America (cheaper) and glass paint that is recommended for use in resin to give translucent colours.
Maybe all a bit daft, cos I'm not good at colour :roll:

gilljc":33cgzsur said:
Yes, is fresh resin and hardener, is only the powder pigment that is causing the problem, the resin is definitely not the cause, as the same batch of mixed clear resin was used for all three colours . thanks for link have you tried both epoxy and polyester resin? using epoxy at moment, because when I was trawling the internet for info, I'm sure I saw that epoxy was better, but got no proof of that, though I do like the idea of quicker curing times.
Thanks for idea of ink, think I read about using calligraphy inks as well, but have just ordered a whole load of powders from America (cheaper) and glass paint that is recommended for use in resin to give translucent colours.
Maybe all a bit daft, cos I'm not good at colour :roll:
i found epoxy better than water cast mainly because of the finish when sanded

Tried to get some colour into fret work in the fifties --- used Plaster of Paris and dye then tried Plasticine all failed so gave up.

Do like Steve Goods work using filler

Latest posts

Back