Bit on the Side.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

I was wondering what is selling in terms of the world of wood right now.

I was contemplating making a couple of kitchen island type units, or freestanding to put on ebay to earn a few pennies on the side, anybody had any luck with this?

Ideas input welcome, cheers.

A lot of people seem to be selling on ebay. Haven't done it myself so can't say how good it is. Hope the tax man isn't looking at this post ;-p

Not much profit in that especially with free delivery.....but there are currently 73 watchers so there is a market there. However it's buy it now so why watch it? Maybe 73 other woddies waiting to see if it sells :roll:

If you look at the feedback he seems to sell one every week or two. No question there's sales to be made at those prices, but if he really costed his operation accurately he'd realise that he's actually subsidising his customers, and he'd be better-off financially spending the same time doing part time taxi driving or working in a petrol station, because I very much doubt he's actually achieving national minimum wage.

Maybe he does it "for the love of working with wood". That's his choice and I respect his decision, but personally I wouldn't get much satisfaction scratching around for the cheapest possible materials and always trying to shave a second or two from the build time.

custard":2i51mvxf said:
If you look at the feedback he seems to sell one every week or two. No question there's sales to be made at those prices, but if he really costed his operation accurately he'd realise that he's actually subsidising his customers, and he'd be better-off financially spending the same time doing part time taxi driving or working in a petrol station, because I very much doubt he's actually achieving national minimum wage.

Maybe he does it "for the love of working with wood". That's his choice and I respect his decision, but personally I wouldn't get much satisfaction scratching around for the cheapest possible materials and always trying to shave a second or two from the build time.

Correct, all he's doing is 'buying the work' and damaging the market for the people who depend on it to make a living.

custard":1l1ozh8h said:

Or he is giving it to the apprentice to make. :lol:

Hello,

Re. Kitchen workstation.

Can't see them lasting too long, if the top is solid wood, there is a cross grain issue there, unless the top is veneered mdf or something. Either way poor quality. Any one can make rubbish cheap. That said, who says the seller is making them from scratch? There are a lot of dirt cheap imports which come 'in the white' or part assembled. Knock them together and give them a lick of paint and sell them cheap.

If the seller does make them, then he/she must have a reasonable sized workshop, as they are batch producing (hence the number in stock). Overheads on a workshop is too high to be selling this cheap. I doubt the business will last long. Anyone thinking of doing something similar should think again. You cannot do it for love and let us face it these kitchen stations have no love in them either.

Mike.

they look good though. Might make myself one of those sometime.

Latest posts

Back