Biscuit Jointing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunky Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to install some biscuits halfway down a panel, but I don't have a biscuit jointer, only a biscuit cutter for my router with the inherent limitation of working a set distance from an edge.

I was thinking of using a 4mm straight cutter to cut a flat bottomed slot rather than a biscuit shape slot, has anyone any experience of doing it this way and whether or not it would be successful?

I hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Jon

i would use the biscuit cutter. If you need to go shallower, put a piece on the fence, so that it stands further away and so your cut is shallower.

A 4mm cutter would also do, but the small cutters can be a bit on the delicate side. the downside is that you have to balance the router on a thin edge of a board. If you can clamp several together it would make it more stable.

I've cut biscuits in the middle of a panel before with a straight flute. It was very fiddly to get it bang on. But it's possible. A housing joint might be easier.

Chunky Monkey":2v2rndkk said:
Hi all,

I'd like to install some biscuits halfway down a panel, but I don't have a biscuit jointer, only a biscuit cutter for my router with the inherent limitation of working a set distance from an edge.

I was thinking of using a 4mm straight cutter to cut a flat bottomed slot rather than a biscuit shape slot, has anyone any experience of doing it this way and whether or not it would be successful?

I hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Jon
yes I've done it and yes it was successful. The biscuit serves really to hold the alignment while the glue sets, the strength is given by the closeness of the two parts in the joint in conjunction with the glue.

Housing joint will be better IMO as it solves the slot cutting issue, self aligns, gives more mechanical strength and provides more glue surface.

Hi Chunky,

If you're going to use a straight cutter, on a panel edge, why not buy, (or cadge) some Domino biscuits to match the size of cutter, and use those instead of biscuits. You can always hang onto the Domino biscuits, for other odd jobs where they would be useful.

HTH

Use the router and plane up a piece of wood to use as a loose tenon. After all, biscuits and Dominos are only forms of loose tenons.

Cheers :ho2

Paul

Am I missing something here? Can you not adjust the plunge on your router to suit? Or adjust how far you fit the shank into the collet?

MMUK":350uc1zu said:
Am I missing something here? Can you not adjust the plunge on your router to suit? Or adjust how far you fit the shank into the collet?

yes, i think with the biscuit cutter, the OP doesnt want a full depth of cut. the collet and plunge is in the wrong dimension/axis.

I just thought that if the OP has biscuits, but no jointer, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy some Domino Biscuits, even though one doesn't own a Domino. I've used them successfully in the past, before I had a domino jointer. I agree with Paul, it is simple enough to make some small loose tenons, but being an idle so and so, I just as soon use domino biscuits.

Now I have a domino, I still might find the need to use a router to cut mortices of a larger size, given that I don't own the large Domino Jointer... yet!

Thanks to everyone for their advice, especially Simon, who through the use of links managed to explain what I was trying to say a lot better than I did myself :oops:

John, I thought that was very good lateral thinking, but your idea is likely to cost me a fair bit of money, now that I have a Festool voucher plus the Axminster vouchers that Santa's bringing, you've helped sway me towards investing in a domino in the New Year.

Thanks again

Jon

Chunky Monkey":38d1zcrt said:
Thanks to everyone for their advice, especially Simon, who through the use of links managed to explain what I was trying to say a lot better than I did myself :oops:

John, I thought that was very good lateral thinking, but your idea is likely to cost me a fair bit of money, now that I have a Festool voucher plus the Axminster vouchers that Santa's bringing, you've helped sway me towards investing in a domino in the New Year.

Thanks again

Jon

They're okay Jon. They wobble about a bit, (At least mine did) until you get used to them, but they're okay.

I want to use my voucher for a i114 Router, but I'll have to travel to Nuneaton (Axy) to get the best start-price. In my car that will cost me about £25.00, but I am still hoping Axy hold their price until after the New Year. Don't really want to stir that far this side of Christmas! :ho2 .

PS. If you do buy a Domino, the best way to get the full set of cutters is to invest in the 'systainer' of biscuits, when you buy the Domino. There should be a set of cutters included with the biscuits.

That type of slotting* ought to be pretty easy with a handheld router and a guide batten - better if you can organise stops too. I think I'd do the board edges on the router table though, as long as you have a tall, square fence to support the board properly.

Note to self: need to make a tall, square fence... ;-)

E.

*for domino-type loose tenons, not biscuits.

Benchwayze":24ebx0r3 said:
Chunky Monkey":24ebx0r3 said:

Thanks again

Jon

They're okay Jon. They wobble about a bit, (At least mine did) until you get used to them, but they're okay.

I want to use my voucher for a i114 Router, but I'll have to travel to Nuneaton (Axy) to get the best start-price. In my car that will cost me about £25.00, but I am still hoping Axy hold their price until after the New Year. Don't really want to stir that far this side of Christmas! :ho2 .

PS. If you do buy a Domino, the best way to get the full set of cutters is to invest in the 'systainer' of biscuits, when you buy the Domino. There should be a set of cutters included with the biscuits.

If you mean the 1010 router? Axi's new catalogue showing the price as £340 or the 1400 is / will be £470

Eric,
I already made my tall square fence for the Domino. 8) It works for a biscuit jointer too! :D

Someone asked about the Festool router. I meant the 1400 model.
TTFN and HNY folks

Latest posts

Back