Biscuit Jointer Settings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a Ferm biscuit jointer and was looking to fine tune the depth the blade cuts when cutting say a size 20 biscuit slot. After the cut was made I used to have a gaping hole that nearly swallowed all the biscuit :shock: but after a bit of tweaking I have got it to 2mm between the lines when putting the biscuit in both ways and drawing the line showing what is sticking out (does that make sense)

What size should it be :?:
Hope to hear from someone soon Cheers

I had the same thing with my ferm jointer (which is now in biscuit jointer heaven or more likely hell as it was a bad, bad tool). As you have found out it is an easy adjustment though.

I assume that you would want to leave a bit of room for the glue and the swelling of the biscuit. I think the way you have it set up now would be fine.

I have the Elu DS140 on which the blade depth is continuously variable. I always leave a bit of clearance, just as you would with dowels, so there is somewhere for the excess glue to go. The clearance you've allowed sounds about right. I've found that it also helps with the problem of the shape of the biscuit "telegraphing" on the surface - although for that it's still best to let the localised moisture dry out before sanding, planing, etc.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have the same make biscuit jointer and i used the same technique you used and it worked for me. But the best thing i did was changed the blade. The old blade was rubbish and the quality of the cut reflected that.

Thanks

Routermad

Back