Birthday Gift - Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanflyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been getting pestered for what I want for my Birthday. I'm sick of getting book vouchers, so suggested some decent chisels.

Dont want her to spend a fortune, so was looking at the Kirschen 1101 set from Axminster. Have read previous posts (inc. polished vs non polished).

Any other alternatives about this price range I should look at?

Dean

I have them, very nice, even when you leave them unprotected in the garage :oops:

Only downside for me is that they are no good for the fine trimming of dovetails. Was doing some more today and the square sides on them meant that I couldn't get in tight at the corners. If you don't do dovetails then they're great.

Otherwise it's a great excuse to get some dovetail chisels as well :D

Ironballs":17b8en6r said:
I have them, very nice, even when you leave them unprotected in the garage :oops:

Only downside for me is that they are no good for the fine trimming of dovetails. Was doing some more today and the square sides on them meant that I couldn't get in tight at the corners. If you don't do dovetails then they're great.

Otherwise it's a great excuse to get some dovetail chisels as well :D

Since the chisels are pretty good in all other respects, you might just grind the edges, like Alf did here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 170#130170

(last photo)

You can follow Alf's and/or Lie Nielsen's idea here; the sides of a DT chisel need to be slim, but the grinding angle can be quite steep (unlike traditional DT chisels which have very low grinding bevels)

The reduces the work of the grinding.

BugBear

Every time I think of something I'd like, I write it down on a list, well, a notebook file on my computer. This list includes all sorts but mostly tools, as a result it reads like a Lie Nielsen catalogue. However when it comes round to occasions like birthdays or the C word I have a long list of things I'd like that other people seem to find very usefull. I'd recommend everyone to do this, especially as it makes life so much easier, I just wish the rest of my family did this and helped me out!

You might want to suggest jsut a couple of LN chisels, then you can buy more as you go, I wouldn't normally suggest a half measure like this but they really are that good

Aidan

Ironballs":9oxcfzpr said:
I'll think that one over bugbear and maybe take some brave pills

You could buy a coupla' cheap old firmer chisels at a car boot for practise.

BugBear

I would ask for Japanese Chisels, can be expensive depending on who made them in Japan.
However, IMHO, they are the best chisels you can buy.
Bimetal, razor sharp, and they stay sharp.
start with one or two then buy as and when. This is my set so far. But I have been collecting them for a few years.
The three on the left are paring chisels the next three are 'Temple' what we call firmer chisels. The others are mainly bevel type.
John
Japchisels.jpg
[/img]

TheTiddles":sr7nvm2s said:
Every time I think of something I'd like, I write it down on a list, well, a notebook file on my computer. This list includes all sorts but mostly tools, as a result it reads like a Lie Nielsen catalogue. However when it comes round to occasions like birthdays or the C word I have a long list of things I'd like that other people seem to find very usefull. I'd recommend everyone to do this, especially as it makes life so much easier, I just wish the rest of my family did this and helped me out!

Have you seen: http://www.wishlist.com. It is an online thing that lets you set up a wishlist from anything you can find online. I have stuff on there from Dave C, Axminster, Amazon, Classic Handtools. Unlike the Amazon wish list it dos not force you to buy things through them.

I am torn between the new Ashley Isles chisels or a nice set of Japanese. :-k

Oh these decisions are so hard :whistle: ;)

I'm currently trying to resist the new 12 chisel AI set Wizer...it's gonna be futile tho.. :roll: :D

deanflyer":ifbobsen said:
Have been getting pestered for what I want for my Birthday. I'm sick of getting book vouchers, so suggested some decent chisels.

Dont want her to spend a fortune, so was looking at the Kirschen 1101 set from Axminster. Have read previous posts (inc. polished vs non polished).

Any other alternatives about this price range I should look at?

Dean

I'm no Little Englander, but in times like these I would "fly the flag" and buy Ashley Iles.
Actually I would buy Ashley Iles on the grounds of quality alone.

Hi Dean,

If you want to test drive a couple of the AI's there's a passaround here.

I'm not sure whether Jim or Gardenshed has them at the moment but if you pop your name on the list they will get to you sooner or later.

Cheers,

Matthew

Thanks for all the advice.

Told her I was thinking of the Kirschen Chisels and before I blinked she'd ordered them from Axminster! (bless her). Will get to try them out next week.

Back