Birthday Flowers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
This has to be one of my most enjoyed turning projects yet. Im pleased with myself 8) :oops:
A vase and flowers for a friends of ours Birthday.
Very pleased with how this turned out. Only thing i'm not 100% on is the shape of the Beli flowerhead now.
Vase is approx 6-7mm thick mostly. Turned from part seasoned apple, part turned, left for a while turned, left, turned....a few very small splits did occur early on but didnt increase, so filled with brass powder (all I had to hand) Part of a broken welding torch as it goes :lol:
Oil finish.

Flowers from various timbers, Beli, Apple, Pau Amerlo, Mahogony, Spalted Beech, Black Walnut, Ebony, Padauk, Olive.
Slightly bent stems to help in displaying them.

I think I need to put something in the vase to hold the stems in place as they try and move.
Any suggestions? Sand? Rice?

Any thoughts welcomed, good or bad!

GEDC3048sm.jpg

GEDC3066sm.jpg

55sm.jpg

Attachments

• GEDC3066sm.jpg
    GEDC3066sm.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • GEDC3048sm.jpg
    GEDC3048sm.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 55sm.jpg
    55sm.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,127
What no Tulip Wood !

A neat and tidy display, simplicity in form often scores over excessive detail.

A couple of things to hold the stems in place could be florists oasis or a piece of polystyrene .
a fine present you have made for your friend, i bet they will be well chuffed.

Great work - I love seeing these. There's a guy in our group does lovely ones aswell, I must get around to trying them myself.

Absolutely Lovely!! very nice to the eye, You should have a very happy friend.
Yep! florists oasis cut snug would work well, I should think.
Regards Rodders

I did a similar project (although no way near as good as these) a few months back and they had to be put into glass bottles for the local tearoom. People were taking them out of the bottles, particularly children and so they needed to be fixed in place.That florist stuff was expensive and someone came up with the idea of using melted wax instead. It worked really well particularly with the blue wax as it looks like water.

Thanks people.

This was very well received!

I went with rice to hold the flowers in place, as that was about all I had or could get my hand on easily within the time I had, plus they can be arranged by the recipient how she likes them.

I rulled out the oasis or polystyrene because of the shape, it would have only allowed a fairly small piece to fit inside.

The wax idea, i like that and will remember that for future reference.

Thankyou all.

Wow the flowers are amazing im always amazed at what you can make in woodturning being new to it myself
Its a pleasure come on this forum as it always give me more and more ideas to try.
You are all a good bunch ! :)

Back