Birch planks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillRiseley

Established Member
Reaction score
A possible long shot but does anybody know of a source for Birch plank wood? I have picked up odd bits from my local yards but most people don't seem to cut it for plank.

Thanks folks.

Never heard of it commercially. Is there a particular reason for needing it- matching up etch?

I believe MCG timber essex import russian birch.

It isnt used much in the uk. It has been used for upholstery although this will be a low grade.

I make a bunch of bowls and am wanting to use birch. But don't want the hassle of finding and drying timber from trees here.

It also is a great wood for the carved work I do, and trust me to find the most awkward wood to buy.

It is probably easy enough to find, just not in boards. A typical tree surgeon is probably overrun with it, albeit in the round and green.

My local timber merchant that they weren't available as they would be very small and so only used as a veneer.

I'd be interested in it if it were available.

Birch is a great wood for carving and furniture....... strange that they do not sell it where you live.

I normally buy birch by the tree and fell it myself or sometimes I buy by the log and then I bring the logs to the local sawmill...... living up north has it's advantages.

Latest posts

Back