bike shelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jools182

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new here

I am looking to build a bike shelf like this for an old racing bike I have

I've done hardly any woodworking before, I did build a shelf unit and a bench many years ago, but they were quite simple

I have some dimensions for the shelf, I just want to know how to go about constructing it, how to join the wood making sure it is strong but neat

many thanks

Attachments

• BS_Lrg_04 (2).jpg
    BS_Lrg_04 (2).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 444
Hi

The shelf is 440 x 410 x 130 high

I don't have a way of weighing my bike, but it's a light race bike from the 80's, using the lightest tubing around at the time

I might shorten the distance the shelf sits away from the wall to reduce leverage slightly, I just need to make sure my bike will clear the wall

thanks

The bike will be ~10kgs give or take a couple of pounds

Any preference on materials?

Well from the picture you've got you're basically dealing with a box with a cut out for the top tube.

As long as it's all constructed properly you'll have no problem with the weight of the bike except for the obvious wall attachment which does need to be thought through.

This will need to be very firmly attached to the wall, either with french cleats, or have the top removable and just bolt the back panel to the wall. The bolts will need to go into brickwork or wall studs.

The cut outs are fairly easy to do just with a jigsaw, then the whole box is joined by whatever method you'd prefer (glue + screws, half lap joints + glue, box joints, dovetails, rabbets etc)

Material wise you could use furniture board for easily available materials or go with a high quality finish using (looking at your picture) walnut or something similar.

Personally I'd make it out of Oak, using half lap joints and french cleats attached to the wall, but there's lots of options and many perfectly suitable.

It's the jointing that I am not sure about

I can't work out how the box in the pic is constructed

Doesn't look like dovetail, and I can't see any dowels etc

If using lap joints would they be glued and dowelled?

the French cleat sounds like the way to go

many thanks

I would have thought a French cleat would be the last method of fixing it, it's too vulnerable to being knocked upwards when lifting the bike in or out to remain secure.

I would imagine it has a plate bolted to the wall that the shelf slides over and is fixed to.

Pete

Pocket holes are screws at an angle?

How would you be able to get access to all of them when constructing it?

Sorry, I'm completely new to all this

Racers":3mkxbwsy said:
I would have thought a French cleat would be the last method of fixing it, it's too vulnerable to being knocked upwards when lifting the bike in or out to remain secure.

I would imagine it has a plate bolted to the wall that the shelf slides over and is fixed to.

Pete

Very true, but that's easily fixed with a long screwdriver through the opening at the front to insert a couple of screws to hold the cleat together after it's up on the wall.

Although it does completely negate the extra effort required to make a french cleat in the first place!

jools182":3mkxbwsy said:
Pocket holes are screws at an angle?

How would you be able to get access to all of them when constructing it?

Sorry, I'm completely new to all this

Pocket holes are an easy way to secure panels without complex/visible joints or screws.

The top doesn't need to be screwed down, that can just be glued at the end when the other pieces are in place.

i would leave the bottom of the box open ..or detachable
maybe a frame at the bottom for strength with inset hinged base
easier to clean or stay clean
easier to fit together

just my thought

Steve

Maybe something to hold the end of the handlebar too. This will prevent the front wheel turning and leaving tyre marks on the wall.

From that it would look like the top has to be fixed securely and not just glued as it will be taking all the weight

Good fine Noel!

In which case the bottom can be glued last and the top should be screwed and glued

I think someone has already said this but it's worth repeating.

It's just a hollow box with a slot cut out. I would use dowels or biscuits with glue. And screws where they won't be seen.

As for fixing just screw or bolt it to the wall with frame fixers.

Don't make this more difficult than it need be.

Mick

Aside from the construction detail of the shelf there might be a couple of points to consider re dangling bikes off of things; the front wheel will tend to flop left or right and will need some means of retaining it in the straight ahead position if the bike is to sit vertically and the front tyre not rest on the wall, and if the derailleur or rear brake cables run under the cross bar they may not be too happy being squished by the weight of the bike long term. That said that is the prettiest bike dangler support shelf thang I've seen.

Back