Shelf spacing aesthetics.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I'm planning to build some simple shelves in a shallow alcove. The overall dimensions are 1915mm high by 740mm wide. Thinking of 5 shelves(not counting the top of the unit as a shelf).
I believe it's customary to have taller shelves at the bottom than at the top, and wondered if there's some rule of thumb for how to achieve this for the most pleasing appearance.

I think you need to consider what you are going to have on the shelves as everyone's needs will be different from yours, it makes sense to have larger/heavier objects lower down and smaller stuff up higher:)

Golden ratio?
I've no idea how to apply it in this situation, (too lazy to think about it if I'm honest! Sorry), but it's often to be found in aesthetically pleasing man made structures. In ancient history especially.

I agree that the largest shelf should be at the bottom and the smallest at the top. However, you might also want to consider that the best option is to make each gap big enough to fit whatever you're planning on putting there plus a little headroom, makes it look more bespoke.

Back