Biggest project you made with a Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I've been thinking about getting a Festool Domino. I posted a topic a few weeks ago asking if members thought if it was suitable for chair joinery. The answer was a unanimous YES.

Thing is the loose tenons you'd use with the domino system are a similar size to the integral or loose tenons you'd traditionally use for chairmaking, i.e 50mm long x 25 mm deep x 10 mm wide.

I'm extremely curious as to what projects member have used the domino for where you'd typically use larger tenons, say in a dining table or a door.

So basically what I'm asking is...... what is the biggest project you made with a Domino and how did you acheive the same joint strength as the old system you used. E.g. Did you put in two dominos where you used to use deeper tenons?

Also how is are the joints standing up? Have they failed yet or are they as strong as you're old method??

I'm sure this is gonna get people going.. I'm rubbing my hands and waiting for the replies to flood in

:twisted: !!

I think you'd get a better response on the Festool Owners group. On the few times I've looked into getting a Domino, I've looked through their forums and seen things like beds, tables, etc being made.

I'm sure this will start another bum fight tho.... :roll:

I guess you have to ask yourself why Festool are making a domino capable of going to 75mm depth if the current one is good enough?

I think for chairs tables and beds its fine thou.

wizer":3cor1rs7 said:
I'm sure this will start another bum fight tho.... :roll:

Are you trying to say something about Domino users here? :p or did you mean bun fight? :)

Miles

I think it would be great if this DIDN'T turn into a bum/bun/handbag fight and we could keep things as factual as possible.

e.g. people giving example of stuff they've actually made using the domino and how the project is standing up.

ive made two dinning tables with a domino, ones onl just been finished so cant comment, although im confident! the other s a year or two old and was doing fine when i went back to the clients house recently to quote or some more furniture.

I did in fact use twin dominos, i.e. two rows of 8mm in a 40mm rail. so each 100mm rail end had four 8x50 dominos in it.

crackerjack,

I havn't had my domino that long, (four months)but have recently done some built in wardrobes for a client.

These were 5 metres wide,with a 90 degree return w/robe that was 1.5 metres.
All built out of MFC for the carcusses and tulip wood face frames,and panelled doors. All these were jointed with dominoe's and it worked a treat.

I think that,your query to the joints,would be more a problem of the glue failing,rather than the domino.
I wish I had bought one earlier,it was a case of do I really need one,but now I have it I am glad I bought it.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

miles_hot":1x3ha4ii said:
or did you mean bun fight? :)
s

Until a few weeks ago I had no idea what a bun fight was. I very much did mean bum

L Harding":tpi9e70t said:
I did in fact use twin dominos, i.e. two rows of 8mm in a 40mm rail. so each 100mm rail end had four 8x50 dominos in it.

That is great - surely this kind of joinery will have the same or more long grain to long grain glueing area than "old fashioned" tenon joinery.

4 tenons x 2 sides x 25mm long x 25 wide of gluing surface is 5000 square mm of gluing surface. You'd have to make one conventional tenon of 50 x 50mm to get the same gluing surface.

crackerjack":3mjvucp1 said:
L Harding":3mjvucp1 said:

That is great - surely this kind of joinery will have the same or more long grain to long grain glueing area than "old fashioned" tenon joinery.

4 tenons x 2 sides x 25mm long x 25 wide of gluing surface is 5000 square mm of gluing surface. You'd have to make one conventional tenon of 50 x 50mm to get the same gluing surface.

Thats the same basic maths that went through my head, seemed like good logic to me, so i went for it. (50 x 100 tho i think)

A pair of memorial benches.

Eight double pegged (handmade) oak dominoes in each armrest and two in each horizontal rail end, also one between each leg section to keep bottom of legs aligned.

Very very handy for a quick and effective solution compared to non-dom alternatives.

P1000930.jpg

P1000933b.jpg

By the way if you use the dom to its max plunge and make handmade dominoes you can increase the length compared to the longest available off the shelf beech dominoes. Can't remember exact depth but it makes a substantial tenon suitable for fairly large work. Of course you can use multiple doms in joints which are arguably stronger than larger single "traditional" tenons.

I can't be bothered to repeat all the "fors" for the dom since the benefits (to a pro user at least) are so blindingly obvious. To a hobbyist it can also be justified assuming that your time to make things is limited and you enjoy actually finishing things in a reasonable timescale as well as enjoying the actual making process itself.

Anyway hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back