Big windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
This way for a BIG WINDOW show - edited - this was a link to a now (nearly) defunct forum.

Fascinating and impressive - thanks for sharing that.

How many times did you check your measurements? - I bet you were pleased when it fitted!

I would think that's very satisfying to contemplate when you have time to stand back and survey the finished job.
So good to see that we still have folks around capable of tackling such in a traditional manner and able to pass on the techniques.

Hi Jacob - we may not always agree on sharpening, but that is absolute top dollar. Stunning. And your views on choice of glass too. Applause is due =D>

Nicely done Jacob! =D> =D>
A very good explanation of how to get around some of the problems handling awkward pieces as well, thank you.

You are obviously a man with "Brains in his fingers".

xy

Last of the windows coming up. One left.

This is a brilliant holding device. 5 minutes to make from a few scraps.

lw1.jpg

I bought a Triton superjaws but I find these wedges more useful. 2 sets in use here.
Note bench behind - 25 years old and a bit battered. Due for a makeover

lw2.jpg

Same bench - the back beam and apron cleaned up and a new vice added. Good for another 25 years, and 2 vices really useful. Note the redundant Triton thing. That's my current mode of transport on the right, not for much longer.

lw3.jpg

Beautiful old embossed glass being cleaned for re-use:

lw4.jpg

lw5.jpg

lw6.jpg

Fingers crossed for the lifting in place, are you comissioned to do any internal refurbishing once the building is wind and weather proof ?

CHJ":29h5m0m8 said:
Fingers crossed for the lifting in place, are you comissioned to do any internal refurbishing once the building is wind and weather proof ?

I believe that is Jacobs very own chapel. So yeah :lol: Nice ride Mr G

Tom K":13vn4bq3 said:
CHJ":13vn4bq3 said:
..... are you comissioned to do any internal refurbishing once the building is wind and weather proof ?

Ahh, should have taken the time to go back and check the history behind the thread.
No excuses really for not seeing the rest of the place refurbished to 'old craftsman picture book' standard then.

Who needs the time to make a living.

CHJ":2kmpc3ee said:
Tom K":2kmpc3ee said:
CHJ":2kmpc3ee said:
..... are you comissioned to do any internal refurbishing once the building is wind and weather proof ?

Ahh, should have taken the time to go back and check the history behind the thread.
No excuses really for not seeing the rest of the place refurbished to 'old craftsman picture book' standard then.

Who needs the time to make a living.
I've got to finish it to make making a living a lot easier - very difficult at the moment. I'll end up with a 1000 sq ft workshop in the basement, all dry, well lit and warm, and living space in the chapel above, with display space for furniture etc.
It's been going on a bit too long, what with one set-back or another.
Worst case scenario we bale out and buy a little house with a shed. Hmm not bad idea.

Very nice, Jacob, most excellent.
If you do buy a little house with a shed, let me know. I might make you an offer for the chapel. Mind you, I'd have to take out the old wooden windows and install UPVC.

Weather-proof garment being collected now.
:)
S

Steve Maskery":1o3dbyq8 said:
I'd have to take out the old wooden windows and install UPVC.

The price of 8 arched sections in UPVC like those would change your mind me thinks Steve :shock: :lol: :lol:

Looks like good progress is being made Jacob,

Very nice work. Glad to see the recent mobility issues aren't holding you back :)

Window progress! Well progress all round mainly thanks to Doug.

Last year

win1.jpg

thinking how to finish the arched head

win2.jpg

Dan cutting out the shape from 7x1 boards

win3.jpg

Insulation - saw kerfs to form the bend plus a lot of fiddling

win4.jpg

Bendy plaster board works really well. Glasroc F Multiboard

win5.jpg

Doug on the job

win6.jpg

Perfect plastering

win7.jpg

Still to be done (not to mention the staircase!)

win8.jpg

Jacob":2tm6lr5p said:
That's my current mode of transport on the right, not for much longer.
Zimmer? Or Range Rover?

Good to see this workmanship. The graft is worth it!

Back