Big windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work indeed. You worried about condensation at all? All that insulation and cold single glazing could lead to some serious water build up.

Condensation gutters attached with copper pipes draining to the outside. Have been seen in action with icicles hanging off.

longinthetooth":1sc9rgan said:
But if the drains themselves clog with ice they are then non-functional .. until it thaws?
I think they'll thaw pretty quickly once we are in with heating on.
longinthetooth":1sc9rgan said:
Grade 2 listed building?
No. Conservation area yes but it was my decision to save the windows. Preserve the outside appearance unchanged and stunning on the inside.

longinthetooth":1e83ggn4 said:
But if the drains themselves clog with ice they are then non-functional .. until it thaws?

Yebbut if it's frozen on the outside it is on the inside as well :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Doug

I'm in accord with the words 'preserve' and 'stunning', but it still seems a bit thermally retro.

If a component of the heating regime is to park the Range Rover in the living room with the engine running, I'm afraid that can be fatal. On the other hand, zimmers emit no heat at all.

longinthetooth":1xokeu8d said:
I'm in accord with the words 'preserve' and 'stunning', but it still seems a bit thermally retro......
Not with all that insulation. 9" plus in the roof, 4" on all the walls. On a -1º day I'd lose 173 watts per window. DG would halve this but at great expense (plus expense of obsolescence), great loss to the appearance of the building esp the light inside, diminish the value of the building etc. Instead - curtains, blinds, possibly shutters if I get around to it. DG not worth it, particularly when compared to the value of insulation if I spend the money on that instead.

OK. It's called offsetting I think.

And to echo another thread, your vapour barriers are ....?

longinthetooth":1xtbbrw7 said:
OK. It's called offsetting I think.

And to echo another thread, your vapour barriers are ....?
Foil backed plasterboard. The insulation itself is also vapour barrier as it's continuous over the wall surfaces. The studding is inside it. Then Tyvek on the roof boards.

I think it will all look stunning when it's done.

I'm interested in the stairs though. Presumably you are putting in a new floor and the staircase will be a new build? Or can you re-use stairs that went to galleries? Can you show us? I imagine it will need to be something pretty special to fit in with the rest.

AndyT":1152l6un said:
I think it will all look stunning when it's done.

I'm interested in the stairs though. Presumably you are putting in a new floor and the staircase will be a new build? Or can you re-use stairs that went to galleries? Can you show us? I imagine it will need to be something pretty special to fit in with the rest.
This place features space and light so I decided on a freestanding staircase with space around. Wondered about steel but then thought sod it I'm a woodworker so am doing it myself. Not my thing though so it's a bit of a nail biter but I'm sure it will come out OK (touch wood :shock: ). Trying to keep to the chapel aesthetic - simple but elegant so no fancy details and a lot of thin square balusters and simple oval section hand rail. Perhaps a round knob on top of each newel. Totally traditional straight from the text books. Painted except for handrails perhaps oiled Douglas Fir. Narrow carpet with brass stair rods. Wondered about a geometric staircase (wreaths etc) but thought that was over-doing it (and possibly beyond me anyway).
Round and half round are part of the overall aesthetic and will repeated in skirtings, architraves, balustrades in front of each window.
I'd better get going at it, today in fact!

Jacob":1y8sz0l7 said:

Well the wood will be nicely acclimatized to it's surroundings by now (is it 5 months now?) :lol:

Progress looks rapid!

JH

jhwbigley":3e0cv3hy said:
Jacob":3e0cv3hy said:

Well the wood will be nicely acclimatized to it's surroundings by now (is it 5 months now?) ....
JH
Exactly. It doesn't do to hurry these things. We're half way there. BTW how do firemen get back up their poles?

Jacob":h9cf81hu said:
longinthetooth":h9cf81hu said:
I'm in accord with the words 'preserve' and 'stunning', but it still seems a bit thermally retro......
Not with all that insulation. 9" plus in the roof, 4" on all the walls. On a -1º day I'd lose 173 watts per window. DG would halve this but at great expense (plus expense of obsolescence), great loss to the appearance of the building esp the light inside, diminish the value of the building etc. Instead - curtains, blinds, possibly shutters if I get around to it. DG not worth it, particularly when compared to the value of insulation if I spend the money on that instead.
5º outside this morning plus a cold wind. 13º inside with no heat input at all, after a cold breezy night. Warm enough for working if not for living space. So the plan is working!

Jacob":17jhdxen said:
Jacob":17jhdxen said:
longinthetooth":17jhdxen said:
5º outside this morning plus a cold wind. 13º inside with no heat input at all, after a cold breezy night. Warm enough for working if not for living space. So the plan is working!

I don't disagaree with the calcs and 2Kw in total, going out through the windows, seems do-able but I remain concerned about a cold draght down your back while having your cornflakes.

Back