Big problem with new Triton router, advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virana

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I have taken delivery of my new toy, the Triton TRA001 router, I have tried to remove the screw that holds the spring cap down and on the first turn of the screw managed to completely round it out.

I have tried every professional screwdriver I own in different sizes and believe whoever tightened it up may have super-glued that thing in there, I literally cannot get it undone and it is now rounded so that no screwdriver fits.

The reason I bought the router was for table mounting and without getting that spring out the router is useless to me, I don't want to drill out the screw and crack the plastic casing around it, yet I have no other ideas. I've googled how to remove rounded screws and tried ll tricks but that thing just wont come out, I really think the guy/gal that made it and tightened that screw up really drove it home.

Ideas/Advice? :(

I have been using mine for the past three months with the spring in place - works fine mounted in the table.

Suggest if you have no way of getting it out you could try leaving the spring in?

Doesn't sound good, i'll take the hit and be the one to ask if you went the right way?! Mine was not a issue to remove and i'd want to make sure that if i needed a big router for a free hand job then the spring/plunge function worked as it should. You want it out otherwise the spring remains under tension when its not needed and you have a nice new router with a issue which is the kind of thing that always gets me. I was just reading the forum quick before i'm away again for a bit but put a pic up so folks can see what you've got and give the retailer a ring?

Dean

Drill the head of the screw off and hope the cap will then come off leaving the shaft of the headless screw protruding so that you can get some grips on the remains of the screw and wind it out ?

Cheers, Paul

Are you able to Dremel the remains of the screw head to flatten the sides enough to then grip it with pliers?

Don't you have to twist the cover cap so that screw has free passage to unwind. Perhaps you attempted to unscrew before that operation.

If it was the above problem twisting the cap now might mean you can now get to work getting the screw out.
Mind you might want to have the spring back in operation for hand work when plunging sometime in the future so you will need to get a new screw working again.

Back