Big Plywood Box (contains disturbing images)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to keep it simple don't try to join the bits of framing just cut them to length. As most of the box is plywood it will be stable so you can glue it all along. That will be enough to make a strong box.

Congratulations on creating something useful.

I am having fun with mitre joints at the moment! Suffice to say I will not be giving up the day job. I have also just cut a shallow but wide groove for the base of the second decorative box I am making, rather than a deep and narrow groove because I misjudged the orientation on my router table.

However the sense of achievement is fantastic whenever you make something, even if every time you look at it you know everything that is not quite as you wanted it. The next one will be better.

Grayorm":2yn4tt1p said:
richard56":2yn4tt1p said:
Grayorm":2yn4tt1p said:
Great job. You have learned masses whilst doing this. The next one will be even better...and easier to make. How well equipped are you? Do you have a router?

Thanks. Yes I have a router. Have you got an idea?

Rebates in the edge of the ply to take the adjacent edges.

EDIT: Or as the above answer would be better still.

I forgot to say thanks yesterday.

Would a cheap router table be a good idea?

Tim_H":19akapz6 said:
Congratulations on creating something useful.

I am having fun with mitre joints at the moment! Suffice to say I will not be giving up the day job. I have also just cut a shallow but wide groove for the base of the second decorative box I am making, rather than a deep and narrow groove because I misjudged the orientation on my router table.

However the sense of achievement is fantastic whenever you make something, even if every time you look at it you know everything that is not quite as you wanted it. The next one will be better.

Thank you.
Yes mitres are tricky. I think my saw has a bend in the blade.:)
It must get boring for people who keep getting things perfect.
That is why I posted this.
Have you got pics of your project?

Richard,

I have but I have not had time to post them as I am desperately trying to finish it for this Friday. I will post the first one I made for my daughter and the one I am finishing for my parents when I get back from this weekend. They are both ok but I can see all the things I would do differently next time.

Tonight I managed to slice my finger and got blood on the box! I am not sure if that is some form of rite of passage in woodworking or just carelessness!

I have really enjoyed making them but I wish I had given myself more time to finish them better.

Back