Bi-fold door question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the right place but here goes.

We have UPVC patio doors and these will be replaced with some wooden bi-fold doors. The hardware i would like to use hangs the doors from a channel fitted to the head of the frame.

I was planning of screwing/bolting a peice of 25mm plywood to the underside of the lintel into the brickwork and then fixing the frame to this. Does this sound like a silly idea? Is the lintel going to be strong enough to support the doors and frame (3 leaves, 2100mm O/A width x 2000mm high).

The house is around 8 years old, i couldn't tell you what type of lintel it is.

Use the odd block here & there(maybe 3)then foam the frame in.It'll hold & be completely air/watertight,whilst the frame sets--close the doors & put spacers between doors & frame to prevent the expanding poly foam distorting the frame ---ie binding on doors.---tape off the wooden exposed areas of the frame to enable easy removal of excess foam(after it has set).

Thanks Shivers

What i really ment, is it ok to fix into the brickwork above the lintel. As these are top hung doors, the lintel will take all the weight.

LyNx":2zqd7czx said:
Thanks Shivers

What i really ment, is it ok to fix into the brickwork above the lintel. As these are top hung doors, the lintel will take all the weight.

that might be a tough one --most lintles are re-inforced concrete or are a steel beam incased in concrete---give it a test drill with a sds hammer drill & see what happens --if you can penertrate-probably ok.i would still only fix up blocks to it though ok.

Back