best wood for around a swimming pool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeewood

Reaction score
Hi guys,

my first post....i read through your forum and it is very helpfull and interesting.

any hoo here goes.....I've been asked to advise on what wood is best suited for a swimming pool decking area.

1st choice was ceder, then cypress then teak - but teak is a bit exotic and cost prohibative, ceder can be a bit weak and moves alot so may be cypress would be the best option. What do you all reckon? have i missed out the obvious?

please note...they could use pressure treated pine but they don't like the green colouring and its not all that ecological - chemicals and all that.

thanks in advance

Yellow Balau or Ipe would be a good bet. Both are very weather resistant.

If you wanted a "pine" then Larch would be a good choice, its quite resinous so can last outsid efor several years without treatment, its whats usually used for fence panels.

I did the deck over my pond filters with it as I didn't want anything toxic and left it in its sawn state which makes it anti-slip. This is what it looks like new with the frame in green oak and after a while will all weather down to this

I have used the Yellow Balau a few times but find the ready prepared deckboards all get slipery after a winter of damp weather.

Jason

Iroko as BSM said. It's cheap and plentiful, not that difficult to work, and is often used as a cheap alternative to Teak.

Back