Best way to store the wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

After ive sealed the wood with wax whats the best way to store it?

just a matter of stacking it alltogether on a pallet off the ground in the dry or should i be doing something different?

Thanks

Needs to be off the ground,and ideally with plenty of airflow (whilst avoiding rain and direct sunlight)

I built this in an unused corner of the garden :-
Picture211Small.jpg

Plenty of airspace,whilst still relatively sheltered :-
Picture220Small.jpg

This will only dry timber down to the same moisture content as the outside air - I plan on moving it inside in several months,to continue drying.
Bought,dried blanks I keep in the house for at least a couple of weeks before I use them (to make sure they are at the same moisture content as the house) then turn them in one session,so they are not left in a potentially different atmosphere overnight.

Andrew

Good advice from Andrew. When drying wood the main things are shelter from sun/wind/rain/heat, and all pieces end sealed. Ideally it should be kept in a area where it is subjected to no more than just mild heat/draught. Any strong winds/direct sunlight WILL split the timber. The idea being to dry slowly and gently, that way you should get more usable wood through the process.

Good luck, it is a learning curve in itself.

Back