Best way to store hand tools/machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
We have just accepted an offer for the sale of our house, and will be moving within a month or two. All well and good, but we will be staying at my mums for a while until we get a house to move into. Effectively all my tools (more than I care to admit planes and chisels, bandsaw, P/T, stationary sanders, lathe, TS) will need to go into storage of one form or another.
What is the best way of ensuring no unpleasant surprises when everything unwrapped at the other end? A nice coating of oil prior to wrapping up in newspaper and general taking care with the moving?

Cheers for advice, as usual,
Adam

We got storage with a company that runs a site with loads of refurbished containers - they are all clean and perfectly sealed. The one thing you do not do is move stuff on a rainy day - if it goes in wet, it comes out wet. A lot of our stuff has been in for 18 months, and it's just the same as when it was put there.

Hi

Coat all of the 'shiny' bits with wax polish or Liberon Lubo wax, not much else required at this time of year.

Regards Mick

I wax all my tools with Briwax and keep them in a unheated garage, it works as the ones I don't wax go rusty.

Pete

phil.p":sqna5jdm said:
We got storage with a company that runs a site with loads of refurbished containers - they are all clean and perfectly sealed. The one thing you do not do is move stuff on a rainy day - if it goes in wet, it comes out wet. A lot of our stuff has been in for 18 months, and it's just the same as when it was put there.

Are you talking about ISO containers??

If so, ironically security on them is not good, unless of course they themselves are in a secure park. I attended a site once where the "manager" told me he breaks into them regularly (for legitimate reasons I may add) with very little trouble at all using simple tools. Yous pays yous money yous takes yous chance.

Good luck

I moved 3 times last year, don't ask why. I put most of my tools in a storage unit and my mothers shed. Have finally moved and have been building a shed. The only problem is I can't remember which tools are where. Everytime I need something to work on the shed. I need to go through various tool boxes and cardboard boxes. Suggest you mark all boxes carefully or keep a list of what is in what box. Will save numerous searches and trips.

I had a metal container as a site office - the thieves used a disc cutter to open up the side!
Nothing valuable to steal just plans and files.

Rod

Im pretty sure the wood whisperer made a video of him moving his workshop and how he protected his tools from rust and packaging his tools.

Was a good video if i remember correctly

Back