Best tool collection in Sheffield?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm travelling to Bakewell this week with my wife. I gave been granted a free Saturday in Sheffield after seeing all the possible manors they ever shot a Jane Austen film or a TV-serie of the same sort :D

I would have tought that Sheffield of all places would be packed with toolshops, museums and antique tool dealers, but it seemed awfully quiet.

What I'm most interested is old woodworking tools and tool manufacturing. I seem to have too many tools already, but it would be nice to visit an antque tool dealer as well.

I have already decided to go to Kelham Island Museum, but are there other good alternatives? Abbeydale sounded quite interesting, but it's closed on Saturdays. And Shepherd Wheel is under restoration.

Any ideas?

Pekka

there are loads of antique shops you just need to search, I'll try to find what the area with a few is called

Pekka Huhta":2ohgtev7 said:
I'm travelling to Bakewell this week with my wife. I gave been granted a free Saturday in Sheffield after seeing all the possible manors they ever shot a Jane Austen film or a TV-serie of the same sort :D

I would have tought that Sheffield of all places would be packed with toolshops, museums and antique tool dealers, but it seemed awfully quiet.

What I'm most interested is old woodworking tools and tool manufacturing. I seem to have too many tools already, but it would be nice to visit an antque tool dealer as well.

I have already decided to go to Kelham Island Museum, but are there other good alternatives? Abbeydale sounded quite interesting, but it's closed on Saturdays. And Shepherd Wheel is under restoration.

Any ideas?

Pekka

I went to Sheffield with similar motives, and was very disappointed with what I found.

BugBear

Thanks for the suggestions this far.

Haddon Hall and Chatsworth are on the menu during the week. I hadn't heard about Hardwick, I must take a look at that as well.

Pekka

Pekka Huhta":3i56shfr said:
Thanks for the suggestions this far.

Haddon Hall and Chatsworth are on the menu during the week. I hadn't heard about Hardwick, I must take a look at that as well.

Pekka
Just off the M1 at junction 29. Unmissable really. They all have lovely gardens too.

Pekka,

If you have a chance don't miss an opportunity to visit the Kelham Island Tavern. This is the best real ale pub in Britain (for the last two years). CAMRA top award.

Look out for some "Abbeydale Absolution". Eight pints and you will be absolved, well I was for about 48 hours! ......... :D

Have a nice trip. Cheers, Tony.

Escudo":2o4xyj0a said:
Pekka,

If you have a chance don't miss an opportunity to visit the Kelham Island Tavern. This is the best real ale pub in Britain (for the last two years). CAMRA top award.

Look out for some "Abbeydale Absolution". Eight pints and you will be absolved, well I was for about 48 hours! ......... :D

Have a nice trip. Cheers, Tony.

Did that used to be the Fat Cat? If so the Pale Rider was wonderful. You can also go to the industrial museum just behind it and get an idea of what Sheffield used to be like. If you go into the Engineering Materials Department of the University there is the Turner Museum of glass work. Apart from that, after living there for 10 years, I can't think of much else to recommend.

If you got to Hathersage, Charlotte Bronte stayed at the vicarage and Little John (of Robin Hood fame) is meant to be buried in the graveyard (I got married in the church there). Winnat's Pass at Castleton is worth a look and you can go in some of the old mined caves, Blue John is probably the best.

Enjoy your trip
Andy

Maia28":67labig0 said:
Escudo":67labig0 said:
Pekka,

Did that used to be the Fat Cat?

A quick google reveals that the two pubs are quite distinct, and both excellent, albeit only a few hundred feet apart.

Apparently the nearby "Harlequin" is also very good.

A tool based pub crawl?

BugBear

Well, if it is already difficult to keep your credit card buried in your pocket during a visit to a tool dealer, it may prove to be impossible after a few beer.

The woodworking tool pub crawl ends when you are either too intoxicated to crawl or won't be able to carry any more tools or what? :D

Pekka

Hardwick Halls (old and new) built by Bess of Hardwick in Elizabeth 1 reign.
Bess (Elizabeth) Countess of Shrewsbury's descendants are the Dukes of Devonshire - owners of Chatsworth.
A beautiful Tudor Mansion, given to the Nation in lieu of Death Duties by the Devonshires.
Well worth a visit - the local pub Hardwick Inn is supposed to be good?

Rod

Back