Best Scroll saw for the money

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim0

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a scroll saw and I need a bit of help. I don't ever want to buy budget machines again but can't afford trade rated gear so I am looking at Axminster as they seem to do crossover stuff. I want variable speed but apart from that my demands are small. Looking at the Axminster site I have 2 choices. The AWVFS and the Jet JSS-16. They both look the same tool to me but they have differences. Which is more important, higher powered motor (Axi) or larger depth of cut (Jet)?? I am aware of the Record Power SS16V and the SiP equivalent but unless there is a really good reason not to I would rather stay with Axminster. ultimately I want the best tool I can afford.

I'm no expert, by any means. But I would think that the power of the motor won't be much of an issue, as when you have a decent blade then it will cut through the same stock as if it had a higher powered motor. If that makes sense to thee. I could be wrong though :)

I'd personally go for the Jet with the bigger capacity for depth of cut.

No doubt a pro will be along soon to inform us otherwise

Cheers_Dan

I had the same choice as you and same dilema..

In the end i went for neither. I bought a second hand hegna.. single speed.

Old, and with a few rusty spots on the adjuster and paint peeling.

I cope without variable speed, as I work in wood. If your working metal, well thats a different ball game and variable is needed. But single speed can be just as good.

The machines quality of construction is just excellent. The bearings are all tight and move freely, the action is precise and positive. The only snag is I wish the air blower did not blod dust toward me.

Depth of cut is not that important if your working with standard range materials. Its only if your trying different things. So have a thought as to what projects you plan to tackle.
But don't rule out second hand. Personally I a not a fan of the jet items as they are cheaper.

The blade mounting/demounting/fitting/adjustment is critical. As this get shte most wear and tear. Look and see what you want and makesure it takes pinless blades.

Back