Best place for prescription safety specs ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Eye test last Saturday. New readers and distance specs for both of us. 4 pairs in total, so Specsavers give us a 50% off next purchase voucher.
Great....I'll use it towards safety specs ??????? Oh sorry, they are not included. FFS, I have just bought 4 pairs. What use is a 50% off voucher. How many pairs do they want me to buy ???

Promotion ? What promotion.

No more Specsavers for me I'm afraid.

I've used the same optition since I started needing glasses, I get a pair of safety specs along with a pair of normal glasses every time my prescription changes. He doesn't have the big offers the likes of spec savers have but I've always found his prices reasonable & I like the fact that I'm seeing the same chap each time I go who over the years has got to know me & knows what I do so can & does suggest things that aid me in my work.

Incidentally if you are in business you can put the safety glasses through the books.

Be aware that Specsavers "ordinary" safety specs do not have suffiecent impact resistance to hazards arising from Machinery.

You need to specify (and pay extra for) "f" grade at least.

lurker":4vyt96gm said:
Be aware that Specsavers "ordinary" safety specs do not have suffiecent impact resistance to hazards arising from Machinery.

You need to specify (and pay extra for) "f" grade at least.

Thanks Lurker...Didn't know that !

I have one pair of eyes. I have always trusted the same optician for many many years and will continue to do so. The thought of entrusting my eyesight to some profit-driven High Street chain fills me with horror.

I've also used specsavers for years. One of my best mates is lab manager at Birmingham New Street branch so I get cracking deals. I had some new glasses a couple of months ago and got my F grade safety specs at corporate cost, £36 and a few pennies.

I got mine from optical express, good service but they did have to order the frames in so it took a week.

RogerS":2vkare3f said:
I have one pair of eyes. I have always trusted the same optician for many many years and will continue to do so. The thought of entrusting my eyesight to some profit-driven High Street chain fills me with horror.

You've obviously not tried to get an optician on the Isle of Skye for the past 10 years !!!!

At least Specsavers come here every 3 months.

I use vision express and have been impressed. Although that's off topic because I've never bought prescription safety glasses. I use the uvex googles which I can wear over my glasses. Safety specs might be sensible though. So where is good to get them.

Costco have a pair of safety glasses in their range. I don't know about the specification of them though. The Chingford branch does my eyes - top service everytime

RogerS":3o8k8w5l said:

I used to be the same until I had eye problems and found out they'd been screwing up my prescription for years.

skronk":28aj61p8 said:
No more Specsavers for me I'm afraid

skronk":28aj61p8 said:
You've obviously not tried to get an optician on the Isle of Skye for the past 10 years !!!!

At least Specsavers come here every 3 months.

Sounds like you don't have a lot of choice

lurker":8mgag75k said:
Whoever you use check out the impact resistance.
All safety specs are not the same

Surely the "F Grade" quoted above defines a particular standard, or is this not the case?

I used to get through a pair of safety spec about every 12/14 months. I bought from Boots or S/savers. They usually cost about £90-ish. When I moved over here, 11 years back, I had to replace them again. That was about 10 years back. I was shocked when I had to pay 400€!!

I have regular eye checks by an ophthalmologist and my prescription hasn't changed. I still have the same pair of specs. No scratches at all and the frames are as good as the day I bought them. The frames are kevlar and as tough as old boots, so they weren't that expensive after all.

One of the reasons for the changes in the U.K. was that the side protection used to break and they won't fit new ones or it would invalidate the security status! They change them readily here!!

F is probably good enough for a woodworking and usual associated machinery
But every shop ought to have a face mask too.
At less than a tenner it's daft not to.
Don't machine grind or turn with just specs
I have a library of gory face injuries from angle grinder accidents to get over the point at work. And you would not believe how common those things mutilate people

Back