Best outdoor wood finish gable end boards (Cornwall UK)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
What would others recommend as the best and longest lasting finish that I can use on the gable end boards, they are not painted

Its higher than other buildings around and quite exposed, we have some harsh weather in the winters so looking for the best to use

And being the height it is I don't want to have to do it again to soon ;-)

Same front and back

Attachments

• Clip83.jpg
    Clip83.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Clip84.jpg
    Clip84.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 27
Bedec MSP or Barn Paint seem to be the most regular suggestions on here for this type of job.

Thanks for that suggestion, not one I have heard of, appears to be a paint rather than a wood treatment

One on the list thank you

Bedec MSP or Barn Paint seem to be the most regular suggestions on here for this type of job.

Thanks for that, I had quite forgotten linseed oil paint, I have used that in the dim distant past

I wasn't very clear in my post but was looking more for a wood treatment than a paint, although I may go that way on reflection

Thanks again

linseed oil paint is very long lasting

Someone on the forum posted results of a long term test a while back and Sadilon Extra did well. I've used bedec barn paint on my last house which had all white woodwork including gable end bits many years ago and it was dead easy to apply and to re coat. Avoid anything that might flake and need to be stripped in future, getting up to put stain on is one thing, staying up to scrape and sand is a different order of magnitude.

25 years ago I "did up" our last house. Whilst scafolded this included removal of facia boards and fitting new plywood facia and soffits in 18mm plywood. I aluminium primed everything both sides and then gave two coats of Black Sadolin Duperdec. Four years later I went up to re-do them and all they really needed was a good wipe down, but I gave them another coat. This continued until we moved in 2017. The woodwork was as good as the day I put it up.
On a similar note I built an 8 x 5 m workshop at the bottom of the garden. This was clad in 6" tanilised feather-edge and given three coats of Dulux Weathershield Aquatech. This has now been superseded/re-named. Because access on this was easier it got a wash and new coat every three years. Again the woodwork stayed in excellent condition with no sanding , scraping or repair work required.
Both products at near £100 for 5L it was expensive but I have no regrets on using them and will return to them again when the need arises.

Colin

Latest posts

Back