best grain filler ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worsley947

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all you wise men, :D
Can you tell me which is the best wood filler for making mrmdf edges smooth so that I can paint them so they don't show as I am making a built in tv/shelving unit with only 2 small doors
thanks dave

Best thing is to paint on PVA glue to the edge and then sand it once dry.
Once is usually enough but if not then repeat.

Use Zinnser Bin. Brilliant stuff but expensive.

Johnstones do their own version of it as well.

A cheaper alternative to Zinsser BIN is Shellac (one of Zinsser's ingredients) which I had some success using in an MDF project. This worked well on flat surfaces. However, I found edges remained uneven (very slight but enough to mar the paint finish) and the quickest and most satisfactory result was obtained by using filler. I think in the USA you can obtain 'spacklle' - a creamy consistency filler - but in the UK I just used a 2 part filler (Ronseal, but I've since switched to Upol - a car body filler), spread thinly over the whole edge and sanded smooth The filler both removes any roughness and provides an excellent seal preventing the paint being 'sucked' into the edges.

Mike.S":1wtoi9kt said:
I think in the USA you can obtain 'spacklle' - a creamy consistency filler

I thought 'spackle' was just an Americanism referring to a generic wall filler like Polyfilla or something?

I use sanding sealer.
I gets sucked right in, dries quickly and sands to a smooth finish very easily.

Back