Best cordless nailer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimokslis

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, actually I'm new at woodworking too. At the moment I work on site all the time, not doing much in my little garage (workshop) just little things to practice woodworking.
I've read the forum, but in my case last post was more than half a year ago so I made a new topic (hopefully everyone will be ok with that).

Let's begin:
As working on site, all the time I get different jobs, so I end up with need to have lots of tools. So it come to that I need to get a framing nailer as I've never had one before. So there are my two that come to the final for me.

Nails are supplied by others all the time, so the cost of the nails seems not to be priority, but still I could sell gas and put some cash in the pocket.
I do not need it every day, quite the opposite, I need it just once or twice a year for a week or so.

Paslode IM350+ 90mm Gas Framing Nailer 6V £490

My thoughts:
+ I already have Paslode 2nd fix gun, could share the batteries and charger.
+ It's been on the market for ages, and so far every carpenter I've ever met uses Paslode.
- Gas required, if I am going ever to do something for my self I have to pay more for the nails.
- Service required.

and

DeWalt DCN690M2-GB 90mm Cordless Nailer 18V £530

+ No service required or not as frequently as for gas nailers.
+ Cheaper nails if I need to build something for myself.
- Not for long on the market so basically it is a new toy.
- It is heavier, even not much, but still. :)
- And I do not have anything from DeWalt at the moment so batteries will not be used every day.

Finally: After reading some reviews I found out that there are some parts (can not to remember what exactly) covered just for 30000 nails and it seems to have a problem after that. But at the moment I will not use it very often , so either tool I get I do not think I will have any problems while in warranty period.
Also I have seen Paslode going down the scaffold on the tarmac and having no scratch after that. How about DeWalt?
And at the end: is there any better solutions in my case? Axminster nailer which is half the price? What do you think?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Being firmly against DeWalt (it's a long story that stretches out over several years of problem after problem) you'll probably be surprised to hear that the DeWalt nailer is the one I'd recommend. Overall lifetime cost is hugely less than Paslode for one thing.

I would recommend trying to get an older 2012 model though with the 3Ah battery, not the newer one with the 4Ah battery. I used to work for Stanley Black & Decker and we had the 4Ah batteries on trial before they were released in the UK. Out of the four I had, two caught fire and the other two weren't far off. Also, the run time is only about 70% that of the 3Ah batteries.

I am afraid I can't comment on the Paslode as I have only used the IM350 on a loan for a job. I do own the 16g De Walt nail gun which I have had for more than four years now and can't fault it. It is not used daily but has had a lot of use in the past. In all the years I have owned it it has only jammed once! (simple matter to clear it) The batteries seem to last forever and don't take long to charge anyway. Nails are cheaper than Paslodes as you state and it is a little heavier but that is a small trade off in my opinion for such a good reliable tool. I would like the larger 90mm De Walt nailer but can't justify the cost at the moment as I don't use one often enough. HTH. :wink:

If you do a search on the forum you'll find that there are several reviews on here for the DeWalt, including one from me as I was one of those lucky people chosen to trial the nailer before it was launched.

In my case I had already owned and extensively used the Paslode for a number of years and whilst I found it to be an excellent machine it could be quite fickle at times in a number of ways. e.g. In cold weather the gas didn't work well though they have brought out a new gas now. It could be very fussy with other brands of nails and it needed regular stripping and cleaning to keep it running. Also was prone to not firing a nail at times which was a pain when on a roof to find it hadn't nailed a lath and you had to go back.

When I got the DeWalt, I was amazed that it had so much power, was quieter and so far has fired every different brand nail I've tried in it. It has jammed a few times (as does the Paslode) but a quick flick of the lever clears it instantly. After the trial I sold my Paslode on ebay and having now owned the DeWalt for more than a year I would do the same again. A much better nailer IMO.
Mine is a 4amp battery BTW and no problems. Batteries last a long time before recharging and I now also have a drill with the same batteries so maybe they've solved the problems that MMUK encountered.

I admit though that I am a fan of DeWalt tools and own quite a number of their products among, others of course and they aren't best in every category but this nailer takes some beating. It's cheaper to run as no gas, cheap nails and minimal servicing

Bob

+1 for what Bob says . I too had one on demo from dewalt before it was released to the public. Not sure they were ever 3 amp as mmuk says , mine came with 4 Amp batteries and was a pre production tester. Never had a single problem with it.

I have placed an order at Toolstop yesterday so hopefully it will arrive before Christmas.

BTW: Today received an email from them saying:

Power Tool of the Year 2013
The Dewalt DCN690M2 Nailer

As people have been voting for the Tool of the year for a while.

And finally is DeWalt going to announce 18v 4ah 2fix gun anytime soon?

When you get it you must never oil it. The oil can get in the mechanism and stop it working. It's all in the instructions.

I did ask if they would be updating the 2nd fix gun ,they will but don't know when

Dimokslis":2rrjmfx2 said:
Thank you for info. No one reads the instruction before something goes wrong. :)

:lol: :lol:

I got a real fright yesterday when in the middle of a flooring job with no problems when the gun suddenly expired. Wouldn't fire and was making a noise like a fan catching against something (if you know what I mean). I thought, jammed nail but the release catch did nothing so I put it aside and reverted to hammer and nails - what a pain when you haven't used that method for years #-o

I didn't have an instruction manual as it was a pre launch and hadn't bothered to look for one :oops: so downloaded last night and easy peasy - the firing pin hadn't returned up the shaft. Loosen 2 screws, instant release, hey presto all ok #-o

I'll know next time if it happens but typical timing as I'd only just recommended the gun to you! :lol:

Bob

Back