Bessey Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
Are not the cheapest things in the world. anyone know where the current secret good place to buy them is?

i see DM have a sale where they are 4 for £170 for 1m, so about £42.50 each. £45 at Ax.

Ruts are doing Dakota at £20 for 50", so half the price, however I have read that one should steer away from lower quality clamps as they are pretty useless. is that still the case? are the Dakota ones that bad?

I have a set of the Dakota clamps Dave and they are ok but are not the quality of the Besseys. After a bit of use they tend to slip, this can be adjusted with small allen key grub screws which fices them for a while but then they start to slip again. Having said this I have had these for a couple of years now and only had to 'adjust' them three times. HTH. :wink:

Last time I got them I think direct from Bessey's website was the cheapest. I was after UniKlamps though, so may be different for the larger ones.

Good luck. Cheers _Dan.

mailee":1htlmt0g said:
I have a set of the Dakota clamps Dave and they are ok but are not the quality of the Besseys. After a bit of use they tend to slip, this can be adjusted with small allen key grub screws which fices them for a while but then they start to slip again. Having said this I have had these for a couple of years now and only had to 'adjust' them three times. HTH. :wink:

Thanks, how much do you use them, and if you could do it again, would you buy the same? (even slowly and over time..) as I have ended up spending more by trying to save, and you can often not tell where saving is a false economy until you have done it. (eg for me cheap drill press is ok, however cheap table saw was not ok....)

Ha, they are more expensive at Bessey than DM-Tools or Axminster, yet their site claims you save £33. Saving compared to what?

I never understand how the manufacturer can claim that you are saving, after all, they sort of decide the price...

I originally bought the Dakota ones, but I used them for a couple of big jobs and then had to throw them away because the threads wore down so badly and then failed altogether. I'm building up a collection of Besseys now albeit a small one at the moment. I wish another company would produce ones as good as the Besseys but at a reasonable price, but I haven't found any others as good yet.

I think on reflection I would buy the besseys next time but only if I could find them cheap enough. (I think they are way overpriced) Otherwise I would buy steel sash clamps which are much cheaper.

Back