Bench or Workside

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to make a workbench - which I didn't know as I found this forum after I got my shed pretty much set up - Am I at a real disadvantage do you think and in practice do benches take up much ore space? I know what I do in there will make a difference so let me give you an overview. My place is 16 x 10 ft and I have a narrow side along one wall only about a foot wide, with a drill and lathe on it , my workside is straight across one end, 10 ft x 4 feet with no obstructions just an empty side.

Its only for hobby stuff, the biggest project I have in mind is a sun lounger next year - any thoughts? Should I convert to a bench? I suppose my main thought is I should change it soon if I am going to or else lots of other things will be set up and it would get harder to change.
Jinx

What a good question!

Many woodworking cultures manage without benches - think Japanese and Asian. The Japanese use a beam they set up and take down to support work they're planing, for example. Much site work is done without benches, and some of the older trades like bodgers didn't use them either. Looking at some of the benches I've seen in some workshops, their main use is as a shelf, and a singularly disorganised one at that. So - no, they aren't compulsory.

That said, they do make some tasks easier. Planing is one such - a solid surface at a convenient height is pretty much indispensible. Trying to plane on a Workmate, for example, is back-pain inducing and intensly frustrating as you chase it round the workshop. Joint cutting and fitting is easier on a rigid bench.

It's a matter of personal choice. If the work you do isn't really fine cabinetmaking or joinery, there may be other equally good ways of doing the job that don't involve a bench (though in all honesty, I'd struggle without a bench and a couple of good vices).

I am just taking up the woodworking hobby, prompted by my Son's minor interest and his request for a router for Christmas. He has made a couple of items, for friends , using only modest tools.

We have a double garage some 16' wide and at the end there was a work surface of old chipboard about 12 ' long and 2' deep. I am in the process of resurfacing this with 3/4" hardwood ply on top of the old chipboard, with a wood surround and hardwood front strip. I have ordered a 9" vice to be fitted to the front of this and have just added 5 extra power points.

I am considering buying a small band saw and pillar drill for us to enjoy and may add a bench saw later on, but can manage for now as there is a good sawmill half a mile away.

I have never considered the work surface other than just that and have managed over the years to do all the minor woodwork and odd jobs with it. I do have a Black and Decker 800 workbench, which is a handy addition when sawing.

A good 'meaty' work bench looks good, but I don't need it and can do all I wish with my work surface against the wall, which has tools and hand equipment right in front of me with plenty of lighting. In any case, there would not be room when two cars are in the garage, but I very rarely get to put mine in, it's the son's and my dear lady's cars that are kept cosey.

Stick with the worktop, it can work for many, particularly in the early years of carpentry.

Alex

Two great answers - thanks, I'll stick with what I have I think. Jinx

Hi

You could compromise and make a folding bench which would take up little space and fold flat against the wall. It would stop you turning it into a shelf as the discipline is to clear it and fold up. If you do a search there are examples on the web.

Personallly, I couldn't do without a bench even though I have 3 workmates, a couple of saw horses and trestles. As said, workmates are a pita but I need them for site work.

Bob

Hi Jinx
In order to fully enjoy woodworking I would recommend you make a sturdy purpose made bench, say 5ft x 2ft, before starting any new projects. There are many examples on YouTube and most are fairly simple to construct.
Cheers,
John

I think I'm in the bench camp, if you can do it on a bench do it on a bench. Having said that it is dependent on the type of work at the end of the day.

It's worth pointing out that the Japanese and Chinese get away with being 'benchless' probably because they pull their tools towards them, mostly, rather than pushing them. Their legs can provide the opposing force, a bit like they do when rowing!

Regarding the bench dilemma, if you can clamp stuff to your work surface, that's half the battle, and you might not need a bench as top priority.

I presently don't have a tail vice on mine, so a lot of planing happens with the work held against thinner battens that are simply clamped down. I quite agree about chasing Workmates around though!

E.

IN addition to the above, I have just had a new vice delivered today. A carpenters 9" model, to which I will be fitting hardwood jaw liners. It's a far bigger and weightier monster than I imagined when I ordered it.

It is to fit underneath the worktop, which is a task for the week-end, but it beats the little 3" jobbie I have had to bolt on when needed before.
Alex

rafezetter":gbwplqhm said:
At work the other day one of our customers put up a sign for us and got out of his van one of these:

It looked excellent for what it was, and the clamps came as part of it, looked very sturdy and didn't rock as he stood on it to do drilling - I'll definitely be buying one myself.

Got a Keter from myself from screwfix very useful.
I joined the forum to get ideas on building a bench, still not decided. I am a retired engineer with time to turn the garage from a junk store into a workshop (for hobby woodwork love the smell of wood).

Terry

I have recently made a bench, I used 2x4 CLS timber for the legs and frame with a 3/4 ply top, I screwed some 6mm MDF to the ply which I can change when it gets worn. TBH the black and decker workmate has served me well, as I have a few back problems the bench is higher than usual, I can now either stand at the bench or sit, planing is so much easier too.

Baldhead

Back