Bench, maybe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":s4rcd8hq said:
DaveL":s4rcd8hq said:
And used an old #78
Phew; just about rescued the whole thing for me from the dados and tenoning jig... :wink:
It did turn into a bit of a Norm feast. :norm: It is the first thing I have made that I could use ALL of the toys on and I had to resist the urge to rush out and by a plaid shirt. :wink:

The bench top is 6' long and 40" high.
Be interested to hear how you get on with it; how tall are you? (if you don't mind me asking :D )
Alf, I used to stand 6' in my socks, but age has taken its toll and I am only 5' 11" now :( but I make up for the loss with my clogs. I usually wear the ones shown as my avatar in the shop. I am stood on 2 1/4" of English cherry with another 1/4" of rubber under that. \:D/ My son thought I had lost it when I asked him to measure the height of my elbow. :roll:

Where I saw Newbie Neil try out a HAND PLANE :shock: :wink:
Surely some mistake? :shock:

Despite his comments I have witnesses that he did use a HAND TOOL, I am sorry but I was too slow to get the camera out.

Hi Alf

Alf":26bkbc40 said:
'strodinary. I didn't even know Jet made hand planes...

I would like you to know that I was one of the few people that came away without a tool that had a tail. :shock:

In fact I didn't really buy a tool of any sort, unless you count a marking knife and that was definitely hand powered. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

I have 19mm Ulmia Dogs, and as Neil and I have been swapping PMs on this I rang them.

They now have discontinued the 19mm ones and only do the 30mm ones, pity I was thinking of ordering two more

Sorry for the mis-information.

AndyBoyd":381qvfhy said:
They now have discontinued the 19mm ones and only do the 30mm ones.

Andy,

Thats a shame as the do look very useful, but 30mm holes do seem a bit big to go drilling on the bench top, let alone the vice jaw. What do they think we are going to be clamping that needs such a robust dog? :shock:

DaveL":2buyz4t3 said:
Alf":2buyz4t3 said:
DaveL":2buyz4t3 said:
The bench top is 6' long and 40" high.
Be interested to hear how you get on with it; how tall are you? (if you don't mind me asking :D )
Alf, I used to stand 6' in my socks, but age has taken its toll and I am only 5' 11" now :( but I make up for the loss with my clogs. I usually wear the ones shown as my avatar in the shop. I am stood on 2 1/4" of English cherry with another 1/4" of rubber under that. \:D/
Well having used the bench some :) , time to report back on how I have found the size.
For working at stood up the height is just right, David Charlesworth's recommendation is spot on. I find planing and hand sawing stuff much better, no stooping as with the lower bench. 8) There is of course a down side :? , the stool I use to sit at the bench when doodling ideas or doing small assembly type stuff is too low. :roll: Must see if I can find a tuit for making a stool of the right height. :whistle:

I have bought some ply to make a draw chest for tool storage under the bench, but its still only part cut up. I have a commission :shock: that I am currently working on.

Nev,

That one came across the pond, I bought it on ebay, second hand! :shock:
At the time they were expensive over here but there are a number of places selling them new for a lot less than back then.
You need to have a look round as I don't names to hand, the slot on the Wadkin is a standard 3/4" which is the same as the unisaw, for which the original jig was designed.

Mick,

That is the one I was thinking of, thanks.

Nev,

Yes, sorry I did mean the Delta Unisaw, the Rutlands one is a clone of it and should be OK for use on the Wadkin.

Back