Bench location - pros & cons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellsWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Mornin' all,

For what seems like forever now I have been working on a new (and hopefully improved) layout for my workshop. Some urgency has been injected into the problem recently with my return to motorcycling, after a long abstension, about 4 months ago. This means that before the summer's out I need to find enough space to allow the woodworking to co-exist with indoor servicing of the bike. And my goal here is to do that without rearranging the WS every time I want to do an oilchange.

I have 2 or 3 new layout plans all of which work for me to one degree or another. They all have certain things in common though, and one of these is the relocation (and rebuilding - but that's a story for another day :roll: )of my main workbench away from the centre of the room to a position under the only window, and consequently against the wall.

So here finally is the nub, prompted by a comment made by Steve Maskery on OPJs recent shooting board thread. Is it better to have the bench against a wall or out in the middle of the WS, and what do you consider to be the pros and cons of each scenario?

In two 'shops I've made the mistake of putting the bench under a window which common sense dictates is the best place.
Wrong. I've found there's just too much natural daylight falling on the bench which is great in small doses but for longer periods is very hard on the eyeballs. The best place in my view is away from a window on the opposite wall with a decent lamp or four over the bench to give adequate lighting. I have a 4' tube and two adjustable 60W clip-on spots (Ikea do some good ones that are really cheap)
Works for me - Rob

Mark
The advantages of being against a wall is that my tools are all to hand in front of me and the bench itself does not take up too much space in a cramped workshop.

The disadvantage is that the wall get in the way for large pieces and I can't get round the back of the bench for clamping etc.

I certainly wouldn't put it under a window, as that seems like the worst of both worlds, unless it was north facing perhaps. Direct sunlight is a nuisance rather than a benefit. Perhaps I'm just weird, as I don't really like bright light at all, anyway. Also it plays havoc when taking photos or videoing.

If you have the space, put it so you can get all round it, but within easy reach of your toolboard.

Cheers
Cramped Steve

Lack of space usually dictates that the bench has to be against a wall. One useful feature that you can build in is a tool well with a removeable bottom so that you can clamp stuff at the rear of the bench, despite it being against a wall. David Charlesworth has this feature on his bench and I think Rob (Woodbloke) has as well.

I agree with Rob - against a window wall is not good. I used to have mine against a window wall but moved it and it's now much better. It also enables me to arrange my most-used tools on the wall above the bench.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I can't imagine the workbench anywhere else in your workshop Mark. Especially if your trying to maximise space. Obviously the light issues stated above are not an issue with your window ;)

Agree with Paul and Steve, putting your bench against a wall means that you can rack out all your tools over the bench (and under it as well, planes) My bench also has the Charlesworthian removable bench well thingies so that work can be cramped from the back of the bench..very useful - Rob

I tried my bench out from the wall, theory being you can work all the way around it.

I moved it back under a window that doesn't get sunlight and find I have much more space !

As for the bike - I have numerous classic cars, and now I have dedicated my workshop to wood, I am looking at these big tent/gazebo (small marquee type things for my automotive endevours !

depends how much spare land space you have I suppose

Rich

Tusses":25m2bylg said:
depends how much spare land space you have I suppose

Rich

Er.. that'd be none. Also it is a condition of my insurance that the bike is in a locked garage overnight.

I must say this is all very interesting. Of all the viewpoints I anticipated here, having too much natural light over the bench was never one of them. I can see where you're coming from though, strong backlighting is often a hindrance.
Excellent food for thought chaps, keep it coming.

It's not so much that it is too much light (well it is for me but then...) it's the shadows and reflections. I want lots of uniform, controllable light.
S

If you must have it under the window, put a shutter on the outside. It will block out the light, provide security and won't get dusty like curtains or blinds.

One other advantage of having your bench against a wall is that, if it is not completely rigid, you can anchor it against the wall.

Paul

I questioned the 'locked in garage' thing with my insurance.

they would be happy with a locked wooden sttructure or lean to that just fits the bike. even a few fence panels with a roof would do the job !

have a word with them, see what they say.

also - it could be a risk you are prepared to take. it would just mean you couldn't claim if your bike was nicked whilst not locked in a garage. you would still be covered whilst you are out riding it !

know the system - play the system :)

Regardless of light, if you're bench is going to go against a wall then I think it's important that it is situated against one of the longer walls so you have plenty of room and length for planing, routing, etc., in the vice.

Steve Maskery":3scoavvr said:
Mark
The advantages of being against a wall is that my tools are all to hand in front of me and the bench itself does not take up too much space in a cramped workshop.

The disadvantage is that the wall get in the way for large pieces and I can't get round the back of the bench for clamping etc.

I certainly wouldn't put it under a window, as that seems like the worst of both worlds, unless it was north facing perhaps. Direct sunlight is a nuisance rather than a benefit. Perhaps I'm just weird, as I don't really like bright light at all, anyway. Also it plays havoc when taking photos or videoing.

If you have the space, put it so you can get all round it, but within easy reach of your toolboard.

Cheers
Cramped Steve

As Steve said, but I woud say make sure the tool tray bottom is removable, and then you can clamp from the 'rear'

Hi Mark,
Here's my twopen'orth!

I have a small bench located under the only window in the workshop. It has a tool rack between it and the window, and a couple of small vices at the front, and has a drill press and grinding wheels on it. I have never noticed a problem with natural light.
Of far more use is the workbench in the middle of the room, which as Steve says, allows convenient access all round for cramping larger items. This is where I do the majority of my woodworking.
I realise that not everyone will have 2 benches, and in your case you have to make a choice.
Is it worth considering what you are likely to make? Large furniture, I would go for a centralised bench every time. Smaller stuff, with infrequent cramping, you may well be advised to go for a bench along a wall.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Malc :D

Mark, going on what Olly said about it being on the long wall. Have you thought about putting it where the sharpening stuff is? and making your outfeed area narrower?

Another option is to have your main bench against the wall, which will provide you with maximum workshop space for other stuff, and make up some auxilliary bench tops/assembly tables/routing tables or whatever, which you can clamp in a Workmate as and when required.

I made up this one which I use as an assembly table and supplementary bench when needed. It clamps into a Workmate and is easy to store when not in use

Workmate3.jpg

I have another top which I use mainly for routing but also for assembly sometimes

Competition25.jpg

They are really useful for jobs where you need to work on all sides of the bench and, when used as assembly tables, they enable you to carry on working at the main bench while glued up stuff is drying.

Very easy to make from two or three pieces of 18mm MDF glued together. And the tops and the Workmates are easy to store when not in use.

Paul

hehe Mark it might be helpful if you post a couple of pics of your current layout.

I like that table Paul, I have been thinking of doing the same.

WiZeR":gfqfq75a said:
hehe Mark it might be helpful if you post a couple of pics of your current layout.

Way ahead of you, watch this space later this evening.

Sadly there's a part of me that want's to admit defeat and accept I already have a setup that makes the best use of the available space. I must admit it is pretty good, being the product of almost 10 years of evolution and constant tweaking.

Grub-up, I'll get some pics and plans up later to hopefully illustrate my dillema better.

MarkW":24fqmy9v said:
I already have a setup that makes the best use of the available space. I must admit it is pretty good, being the product of almost 10 years of evolution and constant tweaking.

I agree, to the extent I'd probably copy it if I had the space. Wanna swap? ;)

Back