Bench Grinder and Axminsters sharpening system combo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't help with the grinder, but I used the Axi jig for a couple of years. It works fine, but I have now upgraded to the Wolverine system from Oneway, which is around £110 for the bases, platform and gouge jig. For me, it's much better for not that much more money. The main difference is the cam-locking, which doesn't mark the arms of the platform and cup, unlike the Axi one, which is a screw and does. This marks the bar and I found that this sometimes made it hard to adjust, as the bar would slip into the pre-existing marks. Not a huge problem, but it irritated me. The build quality is much better on the Wolverine as well, but the Axi is completely usable.

What has made a huge difference, is buying a CBN wheel. It cuts very coolly (no bluing of edges), keeps its shape and doesn't need dressing ever, which for me, is a big deal, because the dust from grinding wheels irritates my skin. They're not cheap, but for me, well worth it.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Grindin ... lverineJig

Whatever you buy, enjoy. I find that jigs make a massive difference in terms of speed and ease of sharpening, meaning that I don't have that mental block about doing it that I've seen amongst new turners in my club.

Latest posts

Back