Bench Dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknoxx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to build a workbench based loosely on the New Fangled one but using 84" T bar clamps instead of pipe clamps. The thing is, I don't know what sort of holes to make in the top for dogs and hold downs.

Round or square?
Parallel or tapered?
funny 'blip' curve?

What does the panel suggest?

Thanks

I'll start of by suggesting round - that's what I did and use veritas round bench dogs that are spring loaded and can be pushed below the surface of the bench. The same size holes also take workmate fittings

I would always go for round dogs - much more versatile than square ones as you can swivel them round when gripping odd-shaped pieces. I also use the Veritas ones - excellent. The Veritas dogs and holdfasts are all designed to fit into the same size holes.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Round - so if you need another hole just get out your brace; if you need another dog cut off a piece of dowel and wrap tape around it for a friction fit.

Another vote for round.
I think I see a theme developing here.
Cheers Mike

Another advantage of round dogs is that you can fit them anywhere you can drill a hole of the right size - much easier than chopping out a square hole :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've got square holes in the top of the bench, because it was easy to make it that way when I built my bench. But I've also added round holes in the front of the bench.

A point missed so far is the size of the holes, round or square they want to be 3/4" (19mm) any bought dogs will fit this size.

Lord Nibbo":38naqnvu said:
I've got square holes in the top of the bench, because it was easy to make it that way when I built my bench. But I've also added round holes in the front of the bench.

A point missed so far is the size of the holes, round or square they want to be 3/4" (19mm) any bought dogs will fit this size.

Actually now you mention it I made square as well mainly because as a callow youth I had seen Norm do it that way and because as his Lordship says they appear easier to make to the tyro. But similarly I've added 19mm round holes in the top since.

Cheers Mike

Square dog holes here as LN has said as they are easier to do when the bench is being built but....mine have a 10deg slope on them so that when the rear 'L' vice is tightened the timber is directed downward onto the bench top. Cunning :wink: - Rob

I have round ones and I hate then.
they are either too loose or too tight - depends on the humidity, the square ones are designed to fit in a loose hole, rest on the lip and hold themselves well at any height.

But as said above you need to plan the build around them

Back