Belt sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woods12

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a belt sander. I need a belt sander that also can be used as a stationary sander. Right now I'm looking at Bosch GBS 75 AE

Do you know other models that have this feature? It's very important for me that the machine has good dust extraction.

What do you want to sand with it?

I had a set up like this for a short while in a temporary workshop in a rented house and used it to assist with shaping guitar necks (maple and mahogany) and fingerboards (rosewood, maple, ebony) . Frankly, if you want to do anything remotely demanding, they are not anywhere near powerful enough and pressing work weight down on to the sander (in its fixed position) easily overpowers the motor. It is not a substitute for a proper bench mounted belt sander for serious work in my opinion.

Dust collection is rudimentary and works much less well upside down for some reason.

I have several powered sanders of different types. I am not impressed with the DIY combi belt and small circular sanders either - also not powerful enough. I use them a lot though so it depends on your mileage.

Thanks AJB Temple,

I'll use it for light sanding, small pieces of birch and ash wood to be more precise. I have a cheap DIY belt disc sander and I have worn out two already. Belt change is cumbersome and the ball bearings tend wear out too quickly. A belt/disc combo is not necessary as I only use belt for my work. I've learned that the Festool BS 75 also have this option, but it's quite expensive.

Thanks, but none of the Makita belt sanders can be mounted stationary. Too bad, I like Makita.

I have that model sander, bought as the only instant replacement available for my 4" Shopmate belt sander,
When it burned out halfway through a job.
It's an OK sander, belts easily and cheaply available, easy and steady tracking of the belt, unlike some!
The sander can clog up easily when on 40 grit, or softwood so outside and blast with the airline occasionally does the trick, excellent with a 60 grit belt for the plane irons and chisels too!
Regards Rodders

Yep, good little sander, and as you say, belts readily available, Toolstation do them for £2.32 per 5 pack ATM.

Quick search shows Axminster doing the Sander for pennies less than 88 quid!

Makita 9911 is a lot cheaper than the 9404 and can be clamped inverted. It needs clamps like these:
502711_xl.jpg

but they need to have 8mm bars (frustratingly not 8.5mm!). The proper things are on Makita UK's web site, and might be had special order, but won't be cheap.

I'm tempted to take a punt on the UJK ones ("Fence Clamps", from Axi.), but to be honest, a soft faced clamp on the front handle and a cable tie for the back one serve just as well if you're not being stupid with it.

None of them will DX well used upside down on the bench. they need the flat surface of the work underneath them, as
the dust is sucked off the back roller. If you want to use it inverted you'll need to rig something else up.

Two generic things: I have learned the hard way not to buy cheap belts.The proper ones cut better, last longer, and are more flexible (better finish and less damage to the sander). And stopping frequently to clean the belt with a crepe block makes a huge difference too.

E.

PS: If you really must get cheap belts, they usually have no lubrication and will wear the pad on the sander very fast and make it run hot. Rub the back of the belt liberally with a 4B or 6B pencil to add graphite (the Makita belts are graphite impregnated - another plus).

I have a Metabo BAE75 belt sander. It cost around £160 at the time, and came with an inversion stand and side fence.

I find it tracks well and has ample power. The length of the tool can be restrictive when used in tight spaces, but that's about my only (minor) complaint.

I think the same sander is sold under the AEG name too, but I don't know whether it comes with a stand or not.

woods12":1wemfwfs said:
I'm in the market for a belt sander. I need a belt sander that also can be used as a stationary sander. Right now I'm looking at Bosch GBS 75 AE

Do you know other models that have this feature? It's very important for me that the machine has good dust extraction.
I've got the Bosch GBS 75 AE. It's very good.
It's done loads of work - people keep borrowing it for floors etc I keep expecting to get it back knackered but no it keeps going. It's needed a new switch once (very easy DIY to fit) and new silicon pads.
The square box shape means you can just sit it on the bench for tool grinding etc - no brackets or anything needed. Though if you do this you have to be careful about the sparks and keep it dust free.
It's got a dust extraction port which works well with a Trend extractor.
The sanding frames are good accessories to have.

woods12":332yi457 said:
Thanks AJB Temple,

I'll use it for light sanding, small pieces of birch and ash wood to be more precise. I have a cheap DIY belt disc sander and I have worn out two already. Belt change is cumbersome and the ball bearings tend wear out too quickly. A belt/disc combo is not necessary as I only use belt for my work. I've learned that the Festool BS 75 also have this option, but it's quite expensive.
I just read this. A belt sander is perhaps the wrong tool for the job - it sounds like you need a linisher of some sort - not least because they are a lot quieter, with induction motors. And a lot cheaper then belt sanders.
Google for linishers / sanders and only buy one if it has a quiet induction motor. The Bosch is an expensive noisy semi industrial machine and overkill for what you describe.

I used to have a Picador linisher when I was making toys many years ago. Regret selling it.

749-2014114163833_540x360.jpg

Thanks you very much for sharing your experience! I have no problem paying for a industrial grade machine because it will probably last a liferine. Right now I'm just fed up with cheap junk machines that stop working when I need them.

Jacob, that Picador linisher machine is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip! When I google linisher those cheap belt disc sanders keep a showing up and those industrial floor standing machines are overkill. Guess I'll need to take my time a see if anything will show up.

woods12":2x3jebov said:
Thanks you very much for sharing your experience! I have no problem paying for a industrial grade machine because it will probably last a liferine. Right now I'm just fed up with cheap junk machines that stop working when I need them.

Jacob, that Picador linisher machine is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip! When I google linisher those cheap belt disc sanders keep a showing up and those industrial floor standing machines are overkill. Guess I'll need to take my time a see if anything will show up.
Picador sanders crop up on ebay every now and then.
But there are plenty of modern versions out there if you keep looking. I'd avoid the cheapest with noisy brush motors and spend a little more on a quieter one - especially if you are going to spend much time working close up to it, speaking as one who is losing his hearing - I'd rather have lost a few fingers!

The Picador is very simple, I like that, less parts that can break.

Do you know any modern versions similar to the Picador. I sand curves so it's essential that the wheels are accessible.

woods12":1izjr21w said:
Do you know any modern versions similar to the Picador. I sand curves so it's essential that the wheels are accessible.
Dunno but I'm sure there will be one out there.
Curves might be easier on a drum sander which can be anything from a drill attachment to a free standing industrial machine

Back