Beginners Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahma

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone! I am new here and am looking for some advice and I wonder if anyone can help?

I am a fairly keen amateur woodworker and am looking to buy myslef a lathe. As is usual with most things, there is a large cost differential from one end of the market (circa £150 upto over £4000!) and being a total novice, I admit to being a bit confused. To be honest, I dont really want to spend loads - if its not something I enjoy, I dont want to have expensive equipment knocking around that I dont use so I really want to buy at the cheaper end of the market. The problem then is, if you buy a cheap lathe that isnt very good, the work you produce can be mediocre and that can put you off the hobby!

For example, are these lathes, available at Machine Mart any good? Clarke CWL1000 Wood Turning Lathe or should I be going for something like Record Power DML36SH 4 Speed Swivel Head Woodturning Lathe - or are both of these far to cheap to be worthwhile? What about Scheppach DMT450 445mm Wood Lathe 240V available from Screwfix?

Should I be looking at second hand? Would that be a better option? Are there any good website that sell second hand lathes?

I know this is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" and opinions are rather subjective, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts - oh and any tips for a beginner!!

I live in Dorset, in case there is anyone living around here that has something for sale!

Many thanks

Andy

I too am a novice lathe user but I think that for anyone to give you a relevant response they will need to know what type of turning you intend to do most.

Turning pens will warrant a different response to turning stair spindles or bowls.

Mick

Hi Mick - good point - I didnt think of that! I think that I would probably start off with things that are relatively simple - door handles, "bun feet" - I would maybe have a go at things like pens and bobins for lacemaking. The main objective going forward, will be to make things like candle sticks and legs for furniture and maybe turn some fruit bowls etc

I guess that I could start off with something small and maybe trade in for something bigger in future ... but small can mean rubbish cant it? And I dont know what these machines are like?

Andy

I have been looking at the Axminster variable power small lathe about £175 I think.

I have a Clarke lathe but it is a bit basic and shakes a bit.

Am about to turn some bun feet this evening so wish me luck.

Mick

The Axminster sounds interesting - is that an online purchase or showroom? Can you send me a link to a part / model number please?

Good luck tonight - let us know how you get on!

Hi Andy , and welcome to the forum

In my opinion this is a good lathe for the money

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod834297/

Its what I call a big little lathe , it has power / forward and reverse / variable speed control / inverter / capacity / you can get a bed extension if you need to turn longer items

If you buy cheap cheap lathe the resale value is very little , if you buy a quality lathe it will have a higher resale value , This lathe has almost all the latest technology fitted as standard and will do all you ask of it

Good luck with your choice

One word of warning , a Cheap under powered lathe could put you off for life :wink:

Hi

Why not try to find a local club where you could have a go at turning and see if you enjoyed it? That would then give you an indication of how much you wanted to spend.

Regards Mick

Back