Beginner - New lathe ordered - A few questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,
decided to make a forray into wood turning. I've always wanted to have a go but never got round to it.

Anyway, bought myself a new Record DML36 swivel head lathe, Robert Sorby 3 piece pen turning set of tools, universal mandrel, pen blanks and kits etc. Also just bought two books "Turning Pens and Pencils" Kip Christensen and "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" Keith Rowley.

Couple of questions.

At what sort of size should I be requiring larger / longer tools?

The tool set I have ordered are 10". What size are normal spindle / bowl gouges etc?

Do I need to use a revolving centre in the tail stock with the pen mandrel?

Are black walnut and purple heart ok to turn as a beginner?

I can see me becoming a pest here but I'll try to use the search as much as possible in the future when I have specific questions.

Gaz

Mornin' Gaz, you like starting a hobby in the deep end. :roll:

For someone who hasn't done any turning pens could be quite disappointing, you do need to be fairly accurate, and gentle with your tool work because the wood will be quite thin.

Anyway to your questions;-

1/ & 2/ All tools are normal size, apart from the pen sets which are smaller versions. Pity you hadn't asked these questions before buying, you can easily use normal sized tools to turn pens, and still be able to branch into other turning.

So as to size spindle gouges from 1/4" - 3/4" forged gouges. Bowl gouges go up in similar sizes. Then if you want to get into the really big stuff, the skies the limit. Again size is all relative, the bigger the piece of wood the bigger the tool is a very good yard stick for size. As to actual tool size the length tends to go up in steps with the width of the blade. Average size of a 3/8" spindle gouge is approx. 14" handle to tip when new. Were a 3/8" bowl gouge would be approx. 18" - 20" handle to tip, again when new.

3/ Yes you do need a revolving centre with the mandrel, you can use a fixed centre and oil the tip, but it is so much easier using a revolving one.

4/ You would be far better using some cheap woods to get some practice in using the exercises in Keith's book before tackling the pens, or you may find yourself having to purchase more pens tubes as you chew them up :twisted: . As to your woods, Black Walnut is a nice wood to work with. Purple Heart is another matter, it can be quite brittle and unforgiving if you are not careful.

So practice/Practice/ PRACTICE, is the way to go, before embarking on any expensive projects.

My HO for what it's worth, good luck in your travels on the slope.

I would echo what Tam has said, you do not need small tools to turn pens, in fact I find it easier to control the normal versions on something like a pen blank because of the need to achieve a long parallel surface in most cases, and as he says Purple heart is best avoided for pens until you have worked it for a while.

Also do not be tempted into purchasing all the shiny little assembly devices until you have done a few, a simple vice or pillar drill is all that is needed to assemble the odd pen. A different matter if you are producing them in the dozens.

Pen making is more about craft assembly work than turning in my opinion but as Tam says you would be well advised to get used to turning some basic spindles and bowls and develope your tool technique before tackling a pen. A tool mistake (ie a catch) can be recovered in most instances in basic turning, on a pen you will most likely have to start again with some fresh tubes.

I am not saying it is impossible for someone new to turning to make a pen first time round but I would say that person would be well advised to get detailed hands on instruction on method if they are to avoid spoiling some of the kit parts.

To add to what Chas wrote I would advise practicing without the metal tube inserted. You won't be able to turn them as thinly but you will increase your skill level. Pens are relatively easy to make but a degree of tool control is needed which you will not have when you start turning

Latest posts

Back