Before you buy From Axminster - do your research!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mignal, its actually the person importing the item that is responsible in the UK as I said above.

The OP has dug a bit of a hole for himself by saying he regularly imports items for his business and obviously also has a knowledge of how to avoid import duty, maybe he can expect a call from HMCE in the new year.

If axminster were to falsly state the import value of items then I'm sure they could charge less but as a reputable company that I why they charge what they do.

Jason

Alex Jones

I can't believe you have the temerity to criticise APTC's business ethic when you are happy to plagiarise other peoples designs for your own profit. In light of what you have said so far I am astounded that all the other posters have remained so polite, as far as I am concerned you sound like poisonous piece of work and if I where APTC I would be glad to no longer count on your custom.

Can I suggest to you return whence you came.

Richard S

So you've found one item cheaper, by importing it illegally, and have the cheek to say that Axminster are no good for this. I've spent a lot of money with axminster and would recommend them in a heart beat.

Richard S":prjmwfen said:
Alex Jones

I can't believe you have the temerity to criticise APTC's business ethic when you are happy to plagiarise other peoples designs for your own profit. In light of what you have said so far I am astounded that all the other posters have remained so polite, .....

Richard S

Richard - i've just seen this whole thread for the first time and the same thought crossed my mind!

I buy from Axminster, Stiles and Bates and other online shops that I know are not always the cheapest. I base the decision where I buy not just price alone, but on reputation (reading the threads here) P&P and aftersales /backup, Having a good web page, the item in stock, delivering within 2-3 days and providing good email updates count more than a few % discount. I have also had need to use axminster for spares for items no longer in their catalogue and they have been provided either free or at very reasonable cost.

An example of the other sort of vendor are those home furnishing catalogues that come through the door (e.g scotts of stow, cotswold company etc) - order from them and wait weeks for the order to come in multiple deliveries - presumably primarily just drop shippers.....all such catalogues now go straight into recycling As far as woodwork suppliers are concerned I think we have an excellent choice without looking overseas.

Dave

Alex Jones":13vfaymr said:
It is worth remembering what happens when 'word of mouth' meets the Internet!

^ :lol: the majority of reponses to your initial post so far just confirm that statement - just maybe not in the way you'd expected though.

Please feel free to try and source any Jet items direct

Jetman

Alex Jones":1o0xkse6 said:
I run a business which designs and makes film industry equipment.
We 'borrow' ideas and then make and sell at a fraction of the cost!

[/b]

So, Alex Jones, would your business be Avant-Garde Films?

wizer":1392rzk9 said:
Jetman":1392rzk9 said:
Please feel free to try and source any Jet items direct

Like Manuals..... :wink: :lol:

Hahaha - touche :lol: :ho2

Wizer - all are available - I will try and ensure that by mid-jan they are online (although if you buy a new machine the manual is included? then again having them online will help e-bayers and the chronically forgetful)

:eek:ccasion5:
Nick

Sorry Nick it wasn't the availability I was referring to, more the quality. The US manuals contain much much more usable content. The one that came with my JPT-260 and Supersaw aren't worthy of toilet paper IMHO. Not meaning to offend, the machines are fantastic.

Alex Jones":123ft7ot said:
I made that comment '...the sites sponsors' after seeing a banner add with Axminster Tool Centre in the top right hand corner of the site!

"...and now a word from our sponsors"!
An Americanism used to refer to adverts during TV programmes!

Are you telling me that it is free to put a banner advert on this site?

So are you telling us that Axminster can dictate who posts what on this forum? If so, do you have any evidence?

Wow...what a response!

Like I have already said...I was a satisfied loyal customer with Axminster until the fiasco back in August!
(If some new guy had come on and said what I have said, I too would have defended Axminster!)

I hope and I pray that you never have to experience what Axminster have put me through! This is where I find the whole 'after sales, customer service' praise that I have been reading on here for Axminster totally unbeleavable!

But the fact remains the same!
Axminster have over inflated the price on the Mini Mite spray systems because there is no other UK competition selling that system! That is a fact! The price they charge has nothing to do with 'after sales service' investment or import V.A.T

Okay,
All originality is derivative! So I dispute that I plagiarise!
Anybody that makes anything 'borrows' to some degree!

I borrow designs to help the 'have-nots compete with the 'haves'.
I don't steal designs! I help others achieve!

Customs is all above board and has been worked into the equation. Nothing illegal as my morals are sound!
Tax returns completed on time every year!

As Axminster are fully aware I am prepared to stand up in Court in order to defend my rights when wronged and I will continue to do so!

All I wanted to do was raise awareness! Some have listened...so that's good!

(Infamy, infamy...they've all got it in for me!)

Oh wow a social crusader, if you're intention here was only to put someones back up then you have succeeded with me, just because someone "has not" does not give you the right to take from someone who "has", they're pretty elastic morals you've got there. Others may well be interested in your woodwork, personally I am not and would rather you cleared off and bothered someone else, you sound like just the sort of person who the guys over at woodworkuk.com :wink: would love to talk to, call in and have a chat.

Richard S":2q30d9sv said:
Oh wow a social crusader, if you're intention here was only to put someones back up then you have succeeded with me, just because someone "has not" does not give you the right to take from someone who "has", they're pretty elastic morals you've got there. Others may well be interested in your woodwork, personally I am not and would rather you cleared off and bothered someone else, you sound like just the sort of person who the guys over at woodworkuk.com :wink: would love to talk to, call in and have a chat.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Christmas Fireworks, just stand back and watch the show.

Rolinaway":7knjpyc4 said:
So, Alex Jones, would your business be Avant-Garde Films?

Who import Indian Equipment and then charge a much higher price than you can get them for on Ebay!

If Axminster Power Tools have taken the time and trouble to source, import, stock and support a unique product for the UK market I see no reason why they shouldn't be entitled to make a profit from selling it. That is the nature of their business and the scale of their operation is testament to the number of customers who recognise the value of the products and services they supply.

I trust your ventilation is adequate?

A company imports and sells a product for profit - HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!

Alex, Just like your namesake, you come across as a very bitter and angry man, I'm sure however you are not like that at all, as the written word is often difficult to convey a personality.

But, there is no need to raise awareness in the way you have, we as adults on this forum are capable of making our own buying decisions. If however you were to detail the problem you initially had rather than recommending that we illegally import an item then there might be more sympathy for your cause.

As it is, I, like others, find it difficult to take you seriously when your whole business is to steal others innovations and profiteer from said stolen designs/ideas/applications.

Hi Alex,
Had a quick look at your site and am amazed that you are not inundated with lawsuits from established camera equipment houses!
Also as someone who has been in the shooting side of the industry for 15 years or more and had my share of involvment with the usual ration of deferred payment, buy a share in my movie, work for nothing we'll pay you when we get an Oscar scams - none of which ever come to anything except a real feeling of being ripped off, I am disgusted to see yet another one.
The only one of these projects that was ever done with real intent to let the crew and investors benefit (and I mean HUGELY !) was The Full Monty but it was properly set up from the start.
Any way, about your woodwork.....
Martin

Latest posts

Back