Bees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
Last night was taken up with having a bee swarm removed - they had taken up residence in a plastic compost bin which made them difficult to remove. The Bee Keeper reckoned they were about 5000 of them.
With the Queen safe in a new mobile hive, the rest followed suit crawling up a wooden ramp. Had to wait until dark to close them in and secure the hatch. Still about 50 left who are flying around looking for a home today.
Glad I am not allergic to stings as one got up my shorts leg whilst I was holding a torch last night - ouch!!

Rod

The remaining stragglers had to be put down sadly this afternoon! :(
They were becoming aggressive through frustration I think.
They were given a dose of petrol fumes - The British Beekeepers Association's method of choice.

Rod

The bee population was well down last year, think there's been more this year though...? I quite fancy a couple of hives in the garden, probably not the best idea with the cats though :?

Does anyone know how the bees got on through the winter? There's been a lot of press over the last couple of years about varroa and colony collapse and a big test was to see how many bees made it through the winter

According to the Bee Keeper who sorted out my swarm, the Bees did not do too badly and there have been lots of swarms this year.
At its peak, the Winchester Swarm Coordinator was getting 4 calls a day from this area alone.
One treatment for the parasite is to sprinkle icing sugar into the hives making it lose its grip. The hives are fitted with a fine mesh floor and the bugs fall through!
A good productive hive makes 50lbs of honey a year, which at £3.30 a jar is not bad?

Rod

Interesting I have been making some stands for a mate that has national hives. The mesh is interesting, as the Bee moves into the upper part of the hive, it passes through the mesh. The parasite lives on their back and is hooked off and drops down onto the floor, clever.

What bees were they Rod?. I`ve a nest of bumble bees under the floor in my house and worried that they`ll swarm/sting but folk assure me if they are not disturbed they`ll be ok [-o<
Steve

The Bumble Bee nest we have,under the decking, now seems to be getting really more active,and some of the Bees look really big :shock:
Also getting a few more venturing into the living room.
So far they have just had a quick nose round and flew back out.

Paul.J":271g22i2 said:
The Bumble Bee nest we have,under the decking, now seems to be getting really more active

Hi Paul
I feel like I`m getting in their way. I swear I heard one of them go "tut" when it flew past :lol: Not stung yet :)
Steve

Back