Been lurking for a while......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archersam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, been lurking around here for a while picking up tips and hints with regards to many things particularly since I took on a new workshop just before Xmas so thought it was about time to come out of the closet and say hello.

I have been playing with making furniture in my spare time for quite a few years now and having been offered a good deal on a workshop decided to go commercial (but still part-time) just prior to Xmas.

Boxing day at 7am saw a complete empty shell being filled with tools and simple but sturdy benches the idea I got from here http://www.grampasworkshop.net/workbench.html being made out of LOTS of 4" x 2" that I had reclaimed from a skip on the industrial site that the unit is based on.

Since then I have installed an extraction system for the machines and a simple booth for finishing as having previously always worked outside I never realised how much the dust gets everywhere.

I use a Trend Air pro face mask that I got for Xmas and also bought a Jet AFS-1000 remote controlled air filtration system. These have been two of my best ever buys and although they don't help me make anything they help keep my lungs nice and clean.

I live about 45 mintues from the Kent Axminster store which is bad and good at the sametime. I always go with the plan to only buy something specific but end up walking away with something that I wanted but had not planned or budgeted to buy! Last time it was a floor standing radial arm pillar drill.

A lot of my machines would I guess be classified as hobby machines but as and when they need replacing I am sure I will find myself upgrading.

Anyway I don't generally use traditional methods (mortice and tenon etc) and mix wood with metal and stones but am keen to get into "proper wood" as a material. Looking forward to being part of an interesting community.
Sam

Welcome Sam.......

Is the "archer" bit a surname or a hobby? It would be nice if it were a hobby, as you will no doubt show us a nice home-made English long-bow!!

Don't forget the golden rule: photos!! If there are no photos, it didn't happen! You have to post 3 or 4 times before the system lets your photos through.

Mike

Thanks for posting the link, I will post a bit more to get past the filters and stick up some photos of some work and the workshop. You will eventually ask me to stop as I like to take lots of them. :D

Archer is just the surname not an indication of any trade or hobby, but you have given me some ideas now....

Welcome aboard Archersam. Nice to see yet another fresh face on here. Indeed it is nice to see someone who has 'gone over' from the hobby to the commercial side as I intend to very shortly. Look forward to some of your pics. :wink:

laird":n9q886iw said:
Some very nice clean looking, almost minimalistic, stuff on there. Well made.

Thanks Laird. Minimal is my cup of tea and I guess influences what I have made. Most items have been commissioned as a request along the lines of "oh I need an entertainment unit/table" so I came up with a design and style I liked and the person was more than happy!

I really admire the skills of traditional joinery when I see a piece made well, but they have not yet found themselves into the design of my work, I am hoping that this will change.

p.s does anyone have a copy of the user manual for a DW125 RAS? Picked one up on ebay a while back but not been able to track a manual down for it nor find the time to set it up properly.

Welcome aboard archersam. :)
archery-095.gif
Here's an avatar if you want it. :lol:

Welcome Sam, some nice looking pieces in your portfolio, modern and different. Keep them coming

Cheers, Damian

Welcome aboard Sam.

Some very interesting projects on your site I quite like most of them. Those table with the stones in must weight a ton, no wonder they have wheels on them.

Best of luck in your new venture.

regards

Brian

Back