Beech root No3: Any ideas on what to do with it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
So far I have cut 2 roots from the beech tree. 1 I like, the other I am sort of ambivalent about. I am seeking ideas for the third one.

This piece is approx 12" wide x 13" long and about 8" deep in the middle. The wood is hard all over and seems to be a mixture of types. It appears as though there is a piece of branch growing around one side which may indicate a split inside. The figuring on it should be really good but which way to turn it. Initially it would seem to be right for a bowl but perhaps someone has a better idea. Hope the pictures will give some idea of what it is like

Pete

I think you have your work cut out with this piece of wood, and it is very hard to really see what it is like from the photos.

If the root is solid enough have you thought about slicing it and making a few 'plates' or small 'platters' with it, rather than just making one bowl. It all depends on the condition of the root timber of course.

Looks to me from the photo's as though you could possibly have a flying piece of beech root, marked in red, can't be 100% sure but thats the way it looks, this would alter the whole shape of the piece your left with.
beechrootraw.jpg

my first thought where it would make a very nice rounded side bowl, similar design to one I have done
bpbowl.jpg

Not sure if it would work, but grain patterns would be stunning.

Hope this helps

Chris

It's wood that keeps the world turning

Pete.
I haven't gotta clue :shock:
Wouldn't have known where to start with 1&2 :oops:
How about trying some carving on this one.
Always do it at a later date.
Paul.J.

Pete,
are your roots clean and free from dirt, stones etc? If so, how did you clean them?
I ask because I've been given a walnut tree, if I take it down, and I'm looking forward to an interesting root from it. I was thinking of power washer.

Haven't even seen it yet, but I believe it is about 75 cm diameter bole, which splits into 2 main branches at about 6 feet. Can't wait to cut it, but thought it would be better downed when the leaves are dropped and the sap is not running. I'll keep a photo diary of it coming down.

Hi Nick,

I clean the roots by washing them off as you have suggested but also by making as sure as I can that any loose bark, rotten wood etc is cleaned off before doing anything with it.

Most roots I have found are unsuitable for turning and I use them to make sculptures with. I refine these with a mini drill and various bits.

In turning I have found that you can get stones right in the middle sometimes where the root has grown around them so you need to be a bit careful. I go slow. There are often hidden splits as well so don't even try it woithout using a mask and visor.

As can be seen from this thread, it doesn't always work but it is really good practice in tool handling.

Pete

Pete, when I first looked at that piece last night I had the same feelings about it as Tam, maybe better sliced and treated similar to your first effort, I still think he has a point and that might be the way to go.

Even a generous amount of filling with homemade dust/coffee filler would not look out of place and may lead to the salvaging of a greater portion of the bulk.

Slicing sounds a good idea, it would also have the added advantage of exposing any inner faults. It looks pretty sound on the flat side so may be able top get a decent size bowl / platter from it.

I did wonder about retaining the basic heart shape, slab it as suggested and trying to put an eccentric bowl into it.

I'll keep looking at it for a while and see if inspiration strikes

Pete

Back