bed designs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
having just acquired a new mattress, larger than the existing one,
i need to consider making a bed.
however, i want to put storage underneath. not sure whether it will be drawers with full extension slides, or openshelves, about 300 high to hide some magazines etc.,

so any bright ideas/ design ideas??

sort of thought about a standard dismantleable frame that sits on the shelve unit but wondered what else was out there??

don't worry about the sizes just give me some ideas please
paul :wink:

May be a bit too modern for you but you can see how I did the base, the draws were 18mm MFC and run on 700mm full ext'n runners.

c31.jpg

c33.jpg

Jason

jason, too modern :twisted: i haven't quite moved into my dotage :lol:

actually it is a nice design and kind of looks where i want to go. i have obviously checked out store bought beds, but they are all such c**p and rarely do the designs meet normal peoples needs.

so is the bed frame just a big box, and how have you supported the mattress.

dom as usual you are right at this time i have some shelves under and boy do they attract dust. :cry:

paul :wink:

Two sheets of 18mm MDF rest ontop of the draw base, the four sides are fixed to theis with a 25x25 batten on the underside and bed bolts at the corners. I drilled a series of 50mm holes in the two MDF sheets for ventilation.

Heres one thats a bit more traditional, but you may be a bit old for bunk beds now.

bunkbed.jpg

Jason

Whatever you do, don't do a dry-fit on your drive..
I had to. Nowhere else to trial it!

Some wag passing by :
'Wife kicked you out then?'

:whistle:

John
'

jasonB":1lt0mgjb said:
May be a bit too modern for you but you can see how I did the base, the draws were 18mm MFC and run on 700mm full ext'n runners.

Jason

Very nice Jason. The cabinets too I assume?

Nice clean, functional lines.
John

Hi Jason,

Please can you tell me about the construction method you used for this bed,
c31.jpg

It's a very nice uncomplicated design, just the type of design my intermediate woodworking skills can master.

Are the materials you used MFC and MDF thru out or is that hardwood you used in some parts?

The MDF sheets that sit on top of the draw base are they in single thickness or laminated 36mm?

Jeff.

As you can see in the picture of the base in my earlier post the structure is 18mm MR MDF (could be standard MDF but I tend to only buy MR), the draw fronts and foot panel are 19mm oak veneered MDF and the two rails above & below the draws are solid oak as are the two corner posts. All joined together with a combination of softwood screwblocks, biscuits, carcase and pocket screws.

The draw boxed were made from 18mm MFC with white hardboard bottoms, biscuits & carcase screws hold them together. They run on 700mm full extension accuride runners. There are small bar handles at the top of the draws that cant be seen unless you bend down.

On top of the base are two bits of 18mm MR MDF each 6'6" x 3' laid side by side with about a dozen 60mm holes drilled in each for a bit of air circulation.

The rails around the matress are about 40x160mm solid American White oak fixed to the base board with a 20x20 oak batten screwed & glued all round. The corners of these rails are joined with these screwed into threaded inserts and metal dowels & sockets for location.

Finish is Barfords Aquacote which is a water bourne flooring lacquer.

There is a nice 5ft high upolstered headboard above the bed now.

Jason

Back