Bed bolt question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailorjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im making a pine double bed, for the bed rail sides im intending using a dry mortice and tenon joint. but intend on using 2 bed bolts either side of the tenon as support and to allow movement. So my questions are....
1. Where can i buy 6" bed bolts (brass pref)?
2. Is there any other way i can make the joint so i can dismantle the bed when we move?
3. What job shall i do when i leave the Navy in 2 1/2 years? (slightly off topic i know, but ive tried the usual , astronaught, train driver etc and nothing gets me going) :wink:

Cheers landlubbers

Jack

The method you are thinking of is probably the strongest, you will have a job finding brass bolts that long you could use brass nuts and studding and axminster do brass bed nuts

There are other fixingsthat don't need a M&T joint but they are only as good as the screws holding them to the timber.

Whats wrong with your hammock anyway :D

Jason

Jack":3elbfxk5 said:
What job shall i do when i leave the Navy in 2 1/2 years? (slightly off topic i know, but ive tried the usual , astronaught, train driver etc and nothing gets me going)

That all depends on what you are doijng now.

The bed fixing idea sounds robust.

Cheers for ideas and direction fellas,
I'll probably look at the brass nuts and studding as it will be easier for me to adapt to me thinks.
Pity i cant buy a king size hammock - but i doubt SWMBO would go for that - shame really - i'd even offer to make the bed in the mornings :lol:
Waka im a Sonar Controller on submarines - so im limited in civie street... unless i can do the voice over for the "bing dip " on the old war films... Mmmm :idea: :lol:
cheers

Jack

Hi Sailorjack, I too use a similar method to Steve but I use long coach bolts recessed into the legs and then cover the hole with a small turned cap which can be prised off if the bed needs dismantling. If it is a large bed I use two bolts per side runner and make a routed plate to cover them. :wink:

re: The Bed. You could use the Bolt+Dowel Nut (aka. Cross Dowel) approach adopted by the likes of Ikea. They use a long bolt through the leg and into the end grain of the frame. The nut is located about 30-50mm into the rail. For the main rails they use a pair of bolts into a double cross dowel for greater strength.

Its not a woodworkers joint but for strength and knockdown ability it seems quite good. I recently modified a loft bed (up 18" and replaced one pair of legs to span a small room!) that was built around these and remain pleased with their strength etc.

re: the Job. Although aimed at late-teens you might get some info from the careers and jobs parts of the connexions website at http://www.connexions-direct.com/. There are other guide on the web too; I saw what may be a good one on the university of kent website today. You should also find a 2" thick book called "Occupations" in Reference at a local library. They often lend the older copies too.

Latest posts

Back