Beach bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,just been checking some bowls i turned back in feb and march and a few of them have started to crack on the end grain.Their all in beach and were logs which were split down the middle, turned,sealed all over and then wrapped in newspaper the put under my bench in the shed.I think the recent warm weather has done it so i've moved them to the garage to try and slow the drying down a bit.Any more suggestions.Thanks

Got me stumped there,Gaz - sounds like you've already done everything possible.I take it they were rough-turned,with the intention of finish turning later? In which case,how deep are the cracks? (i.e. is there enough timber left to be able to turn them out or not?)

Andrew

The cracks are about 10-15mm deep and can probably be turned out(if they don't get any bigger) so i've re-sealed them and I'll see what happens-thanks anyway

Strange, I've got a load of beech that I cut into logs and 1/2 logs and left outside. Made quite a few things from them and none have split yet. Some of the logs do have minor splits on the ends but these turn out easily.

I did coat the ends with PVA but those left outside have washed clean in all the rain.

Pete

Gaz, I would suggest putting them in a sealed plastic dustbin bag for a while and let the moisture gradient equalise across the piece, cracks should/may close up when this happens so mark extent with pencil before bagging, then slow the drying pace down if possible when you take them out. Outside, in the shade under cover perhaps?

Latest posts

Back