Bathroom cabinet in american cherry and ebony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Recently made a new bathroom cabinet to replace the 15-year old one we had used and liked that I made from pine. This is basically the same original (mine) design as the old pine one I made all those years ago and the construction is the same apart from the doors and drawers.

For the new one I off set the shelves to accommodate the sizes of items we use and also added to inner drawers which I think really add to the piece. In fact, they rather set it off in my opinion.

The drawers on the original were simply wide planks and i wanted to use shaker style panel doors this time. The main door panels were made from a thin piece of cherry board I had left over from my coffee table project (2008) and i re-sawed it into two 3mm thick veneers which were bonded to a piece of thin plywood with a piece of cherry veneer on the back to balance the stresses.

The handles and Krenov style latches were my favourite pieces to make - both hand-carved forms ebony which carves like milk chocolate (though not as tasty). The handles were my own design arrived at after playing around with a few offcuts and some carving tools.

I have to say that the latches were inspired by Woodbloke's work some time back at which time we exchanged a few pms. (ohh, and a bloke called James Krenov too :) )

All joints are exposed dados cut using a router and trimmed to perfect fit using a #98 and #99 planes - I rather like showing the joinery :)

So, what do you think?

395915_l.jpg

395916_l.jpg

395920_l.jpg

395914_l.jpg

395890_l.jpg

395919_l.jpg

395913_l.jpg

Another nice piece Tony...handles and JK catches look excellent, much better in fact than bought items, which can so often spoil a piece rather than enhance it. I did a very similar sort of catch on my Elm Cabinet II and they're not easy to get just right :wink: ...I would change the screws though to brass slotted - Rob

I like it Tony. Attention to detail really makes the piece.

I really must do some more stuff in Cherry because its a great wood...

Ed

Lovely piece again.
I really like the handles though i think i would have dowelled them on rather than screw them.

woodbloke":99cssjfy said:
Another nice piece Tony...handles and JK catches look excellent, much better in fact than bought items, which can so often spoil a piece rather than enhance it. I did a very similar sort of catch on my Elm Cabinet II and they're not easy to get just right :wink: ...I would change the screws though to brass slotted - Rob

Good point Rob - might have some slotted brass in a drawer in the workshop......

Mattty":3ip1s5yg said:
Lovely piece again.
I really like the handles though i think i would have dowelled them on rather than screw them.

Doh!! Hadn't thought of that :roll:

Nice one Tony - doesn't look big enough though. Where do you keep the rest of the stuff or do you have his 'n hers cabinets?

Andy

Another beautiful piece, Tony. I think you've used the timber you had very well indeed. Thanks for sharing. :)

Tony":ls416yjk said:
Mattty":ls416yjk said:
Lovely piece again.

How about some shallow ebony button screw covers?

Recently saw a cabinet using through dowels with contrasting wedges holding handles on, originator owned up to them being planned blind but accidentally broke through one, overall effect was very acceptable.

Classic little cabinet, quality finish and form destined to last a long time.

CHJ":1v89764r said:
Tony":1v89764r said:
Mattty":1v89764r said:
Lovely piece again.

How about some shallow ebony button screw covers?

Like that idea Chas, thanks. Might just nip into the workshop.....

Nice cabinet, Tony.

Interesting that the handles are your own design, as they bear more than a passing resemblance to the handle on 'A cabinet for small pleasures', a piece by David Charlesworth's student Greata which was featured in F&C a few years ago. I wonder if there was some kind of subliminal influence there - it's certainly happened to me before!! :lol:

Dave

Dave S":7o5c7ic1 said:
Nice cabinet, Tony.

Interesting that the handles are your own design, as they bear more than a passing resemblance to the handle on 'A cabinet for small pleasures', a piece by David Charlesworth's student Greata which was featured in F&C a few years ago. I wonder if there was some kind of subliminal influence there - it's certainly happened to me before!! :lol:

Dave

No idea - have seen a lot of David's writing, so possible. Very little is 'new' at teh end of the day :lol:

For those who asked, it is indeed plenty big enough for the both of us (it's in our en suite, not the main bathroom)

Tony":guia2e82 said:
woodbloke":guia2e82 said:

Good point Rob - might have some slotted brass in a drawer in the workshop......

And attention to detail Tony. Make sure you align the slots symmetrically! :wink:

Nice work indeed. Krenovian touches never fail to make me drool.

John :)

Back