Basics - copying wall contours

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
Pretty basic question here but I would like to get a wood upright to exactly match the wall. Surprisingly the wall is not straight but rather, has a slight (2-3mm) concave shape. Anyway how best to match the upright with the wall so as not to leave gaps?
1. Get one of those pin - contour things - a profile guage? But these are not very long so how would that work for the full wall height?
2. There is the "Trend perfect butt" - but this seems too simple to actually work. Anyone had any experience with this?
3. Hide the gp behind beading. OK this is the easy way out, but I will always know the awful workmanship lurking below!

If 1 or 2 work, is bandsawing or planing the solution? Or sanding?

Opinions gratefully recieved.

Mark

If its only 2-3mm, just use a pencil and a washer to scribe the line.

Hi Mark
I would go with Simons washer idea - very similar to the Trend Perfect Butt principle and a damn sight cheaper.

You could also try a compass if the distance too great. Or make a purpose made guide as shown in the scribing link below

Link HERE

Cheers :D
Tony

Hi Mark, I use my sons school compass, size the upright, say, 1/4" wider than needed, butt it up to the wall, open the compasses to 1/4" and scribe a line all the way down holding the compass point against the wall, this will follow the contour and the pencil will give you the cut line, hth.
regards,
Rich.

Mark
This might seem obvious but dont forget to pack your timber plumb before you scribe it
Dennis

ditto washer

I end up scribing dodgy walls almost daily , and there are alternatives to washers, but the idea is the same, and it works.

Never tried the trend, but am sure it works well, however for a really difficult edge you could consider a contour guide, although bear in mind the metal ones are useless ( the pins bend all over the place ) so buy one with plastic teeth.

Regarding the cut of the final line you could use a band-saw if it is a long length, I have always used a hand saw and sandpaper, but then i don't have the luxury of a bandsaw as I am always on site. Alternatively you could use a plane. Me? I'd use a bandsaw if I had one. Eerr. Or a plane.

pencil & cotton reel too

for an important piece I do a test run on some scrap sheet material, check the fit, adjust as approriate and then use the sheet as a template with a guide bush/router combination.

For larger curves for example on wooden boats I use just copper pipe that can be bent to the right shape.

kupariputki.jpg

It is accurate enough to make a template, which is then used to cut the precise pattern...

muottikuva.jpg

...for a mold for laminated ribs this time.

kaarimuotti.jpg

A bit off-topic, but I hope someone has some use for the tip.

Pekka

Similar sort of idea to the pencil and washer, but use a large-ish button instead...the pencil point will then locate exactly into one of the button holes and won't wander - Rob

Hi, in the 2008 Axminster catalogue on page 374 there is a product called 'multiscribe professional.

In the bottom left picture can someone tell me how they made the scribes around the pipes the exact size with this device as from what i see the bottom edge would touch the pipe before the pointy bit does so making the scribe bigger by the size from the point to either edge?

Steve.

Back