Barrier/gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiler99

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make some sort of barrier to stop cars entering a private car park at the rear of the house. I cant really afford to make a full gate as much as i would like to.
So i was thinking about something fairly simple , maybe an upright with main top cross rail (10ft) and a diagonal to add strength and rigidity. All this is to be hinged on a 6" x 6" post. Before i go ahead i was wondering if anyone could think of better methods or better style.

Well seeing as i dont work in metal and i also think it would be more expensive....no not really but what do you mean by a "fold down". It has to hinge like a normal gate.

What about a five or four bar gate? They are not too expensive to make if you use softwood and not much work in them. IMHO. :wink:

I would love to Mailee and i could work from plans but i am no good without plans. i am not even sure what wood would be suitable. :oops:

Ahh i see now. Ok the problem we have is kids on bikes so that wouldnt deter them and also people use the private driveway/car park for "activities" ie Drugs, sex and dumping stolen cars/bikes

Just take a drive out into the countryside with pen, paper and a tape measure. Find a farm gate and get measuring.

Adam

maybe an upright with main top cross rail (10ft) and a diagonal to add strength and rigidity. All this is to be hinged on a 6" x 6" post. Before i go ahead i was wondering if anyone could think of better methods or better style.

How about a length of scaffold pole or similar, drilled for a hinge bolt, with a counterweight (maybe a suspended container of some kind filled with the appropriate amount of gravel). Would require a hefty slot through the post but an easier way would be to laminate a post out of 2" x 6"?

All very low tech I know but would be cheap and could look neat.

cheers,

Ike

Back