Barnsley Workshop, Petersfield, Open Day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been hiking around the Froxfield/Steep area several times - beautiful countryside there, well worth a visit. I always press my nose up against the glass whenever I pass the workshops! It's never been open when I've passed before so I might try and get along this weekend. Thanks for the 'heads up'!

bonzo":1ybr1rf9 said:
I've been hiking around the Froxfield/Steep area several times - beautiful countryside there, well worth a visit. I always press my nose up against the glass whenever I pass the workshops! It's never been open when I've passed before so I might try and get along this weekend. Thanks for the 'heads up'!

It is well worth a visit on their open days because they make sure they have a good stock of stuff to look at/buy. However, the showroom is always open when they are in the workshop so it is worth popping in at any time you are passing. Also, in my experience they are quite happy for you to look around the workshop and talk with makers and apprentices at any time as long as you don't make a nuisance of yourself. I think this generally welcoming approach may have something to do with the fact that the Barnsley Workshop is an educational trust. If you become a friend of the trust you get newsletters and invitations to events - a good cause and worth the money in my opinion.

Jim

I have not been to an open day but have visited the workshops, it is well worth a trip - some very good quality furniture making indeed. A great traditional furniture workshop that is now also incorporating modern tooling and techniques – it’s not a museum but a training workshop working to a very high standard.
James Ryan is one of our design guest speakers and always goes down well with our students.

Sounds like a good morning out on Saturday, then dash back home in the afternoon to watch any rugby that is on the telly, nice start to the weekend :)

Cheers, Paul

A really interesting visit this morning, the quality of design and workmanship on the various pieces was quite stunning and inspirational.

Very educational and informative speaking with James and the makers and picking up tips on design and finishing.

Good to meet Jim (above) also and the usual suspects of Paul C and Woodbloke :)

Lovely place too with some stunning views as mentioned above, well worth visiting if you have the chance.

Cheers, Paul

Yes, a great trip out on a nice day :) James Ryan and his apprentices were very nice to talk with and were very helpful. I knew the work produced by the Barnsley workshop was good but when you see the quality and attention to detail, it's very inspirational. All their stuff has a really tactile quality - you can't help stroking it :D

Well worth going if you get the chance.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I went today.

First thing that struck me was how high all the benches are. I asked if they only have giant apprentices, but the explanation was that they actually do virtually no heavy planing, sawing, or morticing by hand at the bench. Therefore the bench height is optimised for close inspection and final finishing of joints, plus some power tool use, under every bench was a Festool dust extractor.

custard":2meobqry said:
First thing that struck me was how high all the benches are.

Yes, that struck me as well and I discussed it with them. I couldn't work at those benches but then I do all my planing by hand. Just another example of how you need to design your bench to suit the way you work.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back