Banksia NUTS @%#@@

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
well i thought i would show you my first attempt at turning a banksia nut but a floor full of sawdust is not very interesting :lol:

Think i will leave them to you more experienced turners.

so i moved onto some goncalo alves and it turned into this

766.jpg

768.jpg

i chipped the inside edge on the very last scrape :cry: i could easily cut it out but this is all about first attempts so thats how it is, and when i look back i can see how i am improving, if at all :?

definately need to buy a vice or smaller face plate as i had to make a block to screw to the face plate and then screw through that to the goblet wich wasnt very stable to be honest.

Looks nice,with a delicate-looking stem.Very good for a first one :D

Andrew

(P.S. - banksia nuts - the devil's contribution to wood turners :lol:)

shaun, you dont necesserily need a smaller face plate, you could try mounting your work directly to your face plate, turn and finish your work, then simply part it off and hand finish the bottom! BUT ! be carefull when parting off, as your work HAS to be supported, my method is to have a soft cloth in my r hand and gently hold the work ( lathe on) and GENTLY push in with parting tool with L hand untill piece pops off, another method is to do the same but dont go all the way through with the parting tool, stop the lathe then hand cut the last 5 or so mm off and again hand finish, the advantage of this being no nasty hole in bottom of work piece! hope this helps.
nice goblet btw excelent first go!

atb dave

wood yew believe it !":3t0qzjqv said:
shaun, you dont necesserily need a smaller face plate, you could try mounting your work directly to your face plate, turn and finish your work, then simply part it off and hand finish the bottom! BUT ! be carefull when parting off, as your work HAS to be supported, my method is to have a soft cloth in my r hand and gently hold the work ( lathe on) and GENTLY push in with parting tool with L hand untill piece pops off, another method is to do the same but dont go all the way through with the parting tool, stop the lathe then hand cut the last 5 or so mm off and again hand finish, the advantage of this being no nasty hole in bottom of work piece! hope this helps.
nice goblet btw excelent first go!

atb dave

=D> thanks for that, will give it a go next time, but i had already rounded this one off before i thought about holding it like that, and i have just worked the parting tool out i was holding it flat and thinking what the hell good is this, then saw a pic of someone using one (on its side) :oops:
i have also been looking at chucks but i cant warrant another £100 just yet after what i have spent these last few weeks :? Axminster shares have trebled :lol:

...my method is to have a soft cloth in my r hand and gently hold the work ( lathe on)...

:shock: :shock: :shock: if it catches, even with the lathe on low revs, you probably won't be able to move your hand before it winds itself around..... use paper towel!!!!!!!

Cheers paul, had another go at a goblet which turned out ok this time no marks or nicks, struggling to turn the inside of the cup, the outside is no problem, got this one ok but it is only shaving dust off not sure what it is but not seen it done, so probably doing it totally wrong.
Definately need a lot of practice with the skew on some scrap but as yet not really found a need for it. i would like to try a bowl i think but need to see it being done first before i attempt that :?

776.jpg

779.JPG

780.JPG

suprasport":2aszuokz said:
i would like to try a bowl i think but need to see it being done first before i attempt that :?

I don't know about anyone else on here but simple bowls are a lot easier than gobles IMHO.

If you can 'turn out' things like these goblets as a beginner, I don't see you having any problem doing bowls

Pete

i was hoping you would say that :wink: one bowl on its way :lol:

sorry about spec it is goncalo alves finished with friction polish and it is roughly 70mm by 165mm

Back